Posted by Tim on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:26pm.
Match race and ethnicity key terms with their correct descriptions:
1. Copy each key term from the Key Terms list below.
2. Paste each key term into the cell to the right of its matching description.
Key Terms: Stereotype, Gender group, Pluralism, Sociology, Minority group, Assimilation, Conflict perspective, Segregation, Ethnic group, Racism, Class, Subordinate group, Social construction of race, Racial group, Religious minority group.
Note: Some descriptions were adapted from Richard Schaefer’s Racial and Ethnic Groups, 10th ed., 2006.
Description Key Term
This group is the same as a subordinate group. A defining feature of this group is that its members have less control or power over their lives than do members of dominant groups.
This describes the social structure between competing groups as defined by conflict or tension. An example would be the conflict that occurs between Haitians and United States citizens when Haitian refugees seek a new home in the United States.
This is a group with distinct national origins or cultural patterns. For example, Norwegian Americans belong to this type of group.
Women are considered the social minority in the United States because they belong to this group, and are sometimes subject to prejudice and discrimination.
This is the study of social behavior. A professional in this field may study intergroup relations between African Americans and Asian Americans, for example.
This occurs when a person both believes and feels that his or her own racial group is superior to another racial group.
The most common definition of this term is a social ranking by social wealth. An example would be a family whose income level categorizes them below the poverty line, versus a family whose income level categorizes them far above the poverty line.
This is when an oppressor uses race to determine who is and is not privileged. These determinations are made by assigning characteristics to races and dividing them into groups. At minimum, characteristics include physical or cultural traits.
This is a broad generalization about groups which does not account for individual differences. An example would be if a person were to generalize that all people from New York City are pushy.
Among many others, Chinese Americans, African American, and Caucasians are examples of this group. Members of such a group can be identified by obvious physical differences.
This occurs when a dominant group forces a minority group to live, work, or socialize separately. The high index of Blacks and Whites living separately in Detroit, Michigan is an example.
Another way of describing a minority group, this type of group comprises people of certain race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, disability. Members of such a group exhibit five distinct characteristics.
This occurs when a person, or the group to which that person belongs, assumes the characteristics of a dominant group. An example would be an Indian-born United States citizen choosing to abandon his or her cultural norms in favor of United States norms.
This group is associated with a faith other than that of the dominant group. For example, individuals who practice Buddhism in the United States belong to this type of group.
This perspective maintains that groups in society may express their cultures without facing prejudice or hostility. In part, it can be seen in some of the larger United States cities.
health - Writeacher, Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:30pm
If copying and pasting is not working for you, you'll need to type in your questions. If you will be submitting questions or a matching series, be sure to let us know what YOU THINK the answers are and why -- then we will know what you are thinking and will know how to help you.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- RACE AND ETHNICITY - ALL I NEED IS FOR SOMEONE TO LET ME KNOW IF MY ANSWERS ARE ...
- technology - To indent the first line of a paragraph which key should you use? A...
- Technology - To indent the first line of a paragraph, which key should you use? ...
- eth125 RACE AND ETHNICITY - ANSWERS FOR THE FOLLOWING ASSIGNMENT MATCHING THE ...
- Social Studies - for class, my teacher is making us do a booklet of key terms ...
- City College - Galileo is riding on top of a horse that is gallop- ing at 11 ft/...
- Music - in key signatures with sharps the key is A.One half step up from the ...
- excell - Which one of the following operations will move you from cell B7 to ...
- words - Which one of the following operations will move you from cell B7 to cell...
- Maths - A manufacturer of souvenir items makes key rings which sell for $5.80 ...