Posted by Libby on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 5:59pm.
using a constant rate, you can saw a log into 3 pieces in 12 minutes. At the sam constant rate, how long will it take you to cut a siliar log (if the same size) into 6 pieces?
would you do a rate formula or what?
I'm really stuck on this one!
Algebra 1 - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 6:09pm
If it takes you 4 minutes to make one slice (12/3 = 4), then it should take 4 times 6 to saw a similar log into 6 pieces.
4 * 6 = 24
Algebra 1 - Chris, Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 6:12pm
Arrg, stop deleting my message, my last one was correct.
first of all, cutting 2 slices of a log will make it into 3. if it took 12 minutes to cut 2 slices into 3, it takes 6 minuts to cut a slice.
Now taking the same log, you need 6 pieces. so cutting 3 more times in addition to the first two would mean 30 mins.
2 slices = 3 pieces
from 3 logs, 3 slice = 6 pieces
5 slice x 6 minutes each = 30 mins
Algebra 1 - tchrwill, Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 7:10pm
2 cuts = 3 pieces
1 cut = 6 minutes.
5 cuts = 6 pieces
5 cuts = 30 minutes.
Right on Chris.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - lisa cut a log into 4 pieces in 6 minutes. she then cut a smaller log ...
- math - A log is cut into 4 pieces in 12 seconds. At the same rate how long would...
- math - Alog is cut into four pieces in 12 seconds. At the same rate, how long ...
- Math - Sam needs to cut a piece of sheet metal into 8 pieces. All the cuts are ...
- math - a log that is 50 cm long is cut into 2 pieces one of the pieces is 8 cm ...
- 8th grade math - It takes Bob five minutes to saw a board into three pieces. How...
- algebra - a 3 1/2 foot piece of rope is cut into two pieces. one of these pieces...
- math - Ruth baked a big cake to sell during the school fair. She cut the cake ...
- 3rd grade math - suppose she cut the cake into 8 equal size pieces and 6 people ...
- math - A wire 360 cm long is cut into two pieces. One piece is formed into a ...