posted by M on .
how does a managed care model of mental health care reduce health care spending?
I couldn't find any good information online -- but in general managed health care systems save money by:
* fewer doctor visits
* less expensive and fewer medications
* fewer diagnostic tests
* less access to specialists
* more stringent requirements for emergency care
Thank you Ms. Sue.
And thanks for being persistent with your question. I hesitated to answer earlier because I am not an "expert" in medical care.
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Here are some sites on that:
1. (outsourcing): http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=330991
2. (retooling): http://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/9911/9911.players_hamer.html
3. (Broken Link Removed)
From a personal point of view with my HMO I know my doctor is only to spend some 10 minutes (or less) with each patient. Also, he is very hesitant about doing prior authorizations for specialists. He only works out of the hosiptal my HMO does allow, so when I'm in the hospital I must go to, he can not.