Posted by Nathalie on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 10:24pm.
I have to write a paragraph about driving and my car with a story about a driving experience. Unfortunately I forgot my book and I'm trying to come up with something on my own. My French isn't that good either. Could someone please help me with the words I don't understand and check my work? Merci!
I can't drive yet and I don't have a car, but I am learning to drive. I'm not very good. The last time I drove, I crashed. A dog crossed the street, and I thought I was going to hit him. So I turned right and hit a fence. I don't think my parents want me to use their car now.
Je ne peux pas encore conduire et je n'ai pas une voiture, mais j'apprends conduire. Je ne suis pas vraiment bonne. La dernière fois que j'ai conduit, je (not sure how to say crashed). Un chien a traversé la rue, et j'ai pensé que j'ai allé le frapper. J'ai tourné à droite et j'ai frappé (I don't know how to say "a fence"). Je ne pense pas que mes parents me veulent utiliser leur voiture maintenant...
I know it's probably way off, but I really need some help. Some words I don't know without my text and I don't trust those translators. Thanks!
- French - SraJMcGin, Friday, May 16, 2008 at 12:11am
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Invest in a good English--->French/French--->English dictionary. Here is how to use it:
1. take the English word, look it up in French.
2. write down ALL the possibilities.
3. take each possibility and look it for the PRIMARY English meaning. You will have surprises!
4. select the best work, based on the context, or exactly how you used it.
Now, as to what you attempted:
je 'ai pas de voiture = I have no car
j 'apprends à conduire = the verb appren dre takes the preposition à before an infinitive.
"Je ne suis pas vraiment bonne" is too literal and someone will think you are a bad person! Je ne conduis pas très bien = seems better.
to crash = j'ai écrasé la voiture = I crashed the car OR j'ai frappé quelque chose or even "j'ai eu un accident."
When you can't find "crash" use a synonym: hit, struck, etc.
j'ai pensé que j'allais le frapper.
a fence = une palissade
Je pense que mes parents ne vont pas me laisser utiliser leur voiture maintenant. OR always SIMPLIFY: je crois que mes parents ne me permettent utiliser leur voiture maintenant. There is a difference between "penser" to have the thought or "croire" to already have the belief.
Feel free to repost if you'd like but I'll not be back this evening.
- math - zack, Monday, March 2, 2009 at 6:23pm
coleen hid a coin equal rto fraction of a dollar behine her back. She said the freaction is smaller than 1/2 and greater than 1/20. What two possible coin could she have hidden. How do you know? Then said it was 5 time greater 1/20. what coin did she have.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- french - I have to write a paragraph in french about who i am where i live and ...
- Statistics - 2.) Car insurance companies assume that the longer a person has ...
- French 1!(I checked in my book and it's not there) - PLease help me say this!I ...
- English - 1. He was driving at 70 km an hour. 2. He was driving at 50 miles an ...
- Statistics - Before i state my question I would like to note that I have to do a...
- Englsih - Posted by rfvv on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 2:12am. 1. Can you give me ...
- English - 1. Can you give me a ride if you are driving? 2. Can you give me a ...
- French - I have to write a thesis for the book Les Enfants d'Izieu and I am ...
- English - 1. If you are driving your car now, come here immediately and give me ...
- French - Why is studying French important? Why do we study French in Canada? ...