Posted by John on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 6:13pm.
Need help on factoring. HOw exactly would I solve these(big test coming up):
-3x to the second+18x+12
-5x to the second-13x=6
-5x to the second-6x=1
-and xto the second + 6x=10
I can't use the quadratic equation. I have to use the a times c method.
- RE: Math - Reiny, Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 7:30pm
1. I think your first equation has a typo, since it is not an equation
2. I think you are using the - in front of each equation not as a negative sign, but rather as a dash. Why????
So I will assume that your second equation is
5x^2 - 13x = 6 (the ^ means 'to the exponent')
5x^2 - 13x - 6 = 0
(a)(c) = 5(-6) = -30
now look for factors of -30 which have a sum of -13
that would be -15 and 2
check :(-15)(2) = -30, -15 + 2 = -13
now replace the middle term of -13x with -15x+2x
5x^2 - 15x + 2x - 6 = 0
take out a common factor from the first two terms, and from the last two terms
5x(x-3) + 2(x-3) = 0
now x-3 is a common factor, so ...
(x-3)(5x+2) = 0
x-3 = 0 or 5x+2 = 0
x = 3 or x = -2/5
- RE: Math - John, Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 9:13pm
So You using the quadratic or a time c method will give me the same answer?
Answer this Question
- Math - Need help on factoring. HOw exactly would I solve these(big test coming ...
- algebra - Hoc can the factoring of 9x to the second power plus 18x plus 8, help ...
- Science - Starting from rest, a boulder rolls down a hill with constant ...
- Physical Science - An object travels 6m in the first second of travel, 6m again ...
- Science - An object travels 8 m in the 1st second of travel, 8 m again in the ...
- College Math - The posted speed limit on many U.S. highways is 65 miles per hour...
- Math - PreCalc (12th Grade) - If the distance covered by an object in time t is ...
- physics - A bicyclist moving at a constant speed takes 10.0 seconds to travel ...
- Math - If a compact body falls vertically 16 ft. during the 1st second, 48 ft. ...
- Calculus - I have the equation: cos x - x = f(x) I am told to find the relative ...