Posted by Christine on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 8:42pm.
you have 8 blue marbles, 7 red marbles, and 5 green marbles. What is the probability of obtaining at least 2 red marbles in three draws with replacements?
I have the answer, just can't figure out how to get it.
statistics - drwls, Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 9:04pm
Seven out of the twenty are red. The probability of NOT getting ANY red in three tries is (13/20)^3 = 0.2746
The probability of getting only one red is 3*(13/20)^2*(7/20) = 0.4436
The probability of getting two or more is 1 - 0.2736 - 0.4436 = 0.2828
statistics - Damon, Monday, May 12, 2008 at 5:53pm
three times (13/20) squared times (7/20)
in general the probability of getting r successes out of n tries in binomial distribution if probability of success is p is
P(r) = C(n,r) p(r)^r (1-p)^(n-r)
statistics - Christine, Monday, May 12, 2008 at 8:04pm
That is even more confusing. I am totally lost on this problem.
I know that I have to multiply the three possibilities, so (7/20)(7/20)(13/20) three times (same numbers, different order) and I get 0.07963. I thought I would add those three numbers or essentially multiply that number by three, however, I did not get the right answer doing it that way.
Thanks for any help. I am totally confused.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - sally has a bag with red,blue, and green marbles. She has twice as many ...
- Discrete Math - A bag contains 5 red marbles, 4 yellow marbles, 3 green marbles...
- Math - A bag contains 9 red marbles, 8 white marbles, and 6 blue marbles. You ...
- math - A bag contains 5 red marbles, 6 white marbles, and 8 blue marbles. You ...
- Algebra - Out of jar with 100 marbles, 49 are blue marbles, 7 are green marbles...
- probability - George has a bag of marbles. Inside the bag are 5 red marbles, 3 ...
- Math - I am having a problem answering this math problem. Andrea has a box of ...
- Math - A bowl has red,green and blue marbles.There are 95 red marbles.the nuber ...
- Math "Need Help Asap"! - 1.)There are 35 marbles in a bag:9 blue marbles, 8 ...
- math - George has a bag of marbles. Inside the bag are 5 red marbles, 3 green ...