Posted by kate on Monday, May 5, 2008 at 12:37pm.
The songs Lift Every Voice and Sing and America the Beautiful both have religious refernces in the first stanza. Our current national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner does not. Traditonally only the first stanza is sung at baseball games and events.
I need to come up with points why we shouldnt replace our anthem with one of the two mentioned above. I need help in coming up with points and elaborating the one I already have about religious refernces and whats not good about it.
Thank you soo much for your help!!
history, and your opinion - PsyDAG, Monday, May 5, 2008 at 1:36pm
If its not broken, why fix it?
If you want to emphasize the separation between church and state, then I would suggest an anthem without religious references.
I hope this helps. Thanks for asking.
history, and your opinion - SraJMcGin, Monday, May 5, 2008 at 1:37pm
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Because of your subject matter, you may find the following sites interesting:
3. (for a multilingual national anthem!): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-schlesinger/a-multilingual-national-_b_20010.html
My personal opinion: So many dates in history are no longer celebrated on the correct date, all in an effort to make a 4-day work week! Just what does HISTORY mean if we are free to change it? The writing of the National Anthem itself was a significant event in our history. The difficulty seems to be in finding someone qualified to sing it!
history, and your opinion - GuruBlue, Monday, May 5, 2008 at 3:03pm
Our national anthem has been exactly that since 1812. There really is no reason to change it...it works! Everyone knows it is our anthem. And besides it is fun to see how many people can really screw it up singing it a baseball games. <G>
history, and your opinion - hxhuydxRMDoq, Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 5:50pm
see this thanks
history, and your opinion - Writeacher, Monday, May 5, 2008 at 3:06pm
It's also wonderful to hear it sung well. Until he retired, one of the coaches at the school where I taught in CA could really belt it out -- and well done, too! Hitting all the right notes.
There's no reason to change it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- social studies(history) - i m doing a report on the star spangled banner. i ...
- U.S History - what is the first verse of the star spangled banner describing??? ...
- Grammar - The national anthem sung/was sung/had sung/ was sung at the Super Bowl...
- english - i need a poem with 4 stanzas 3 line each with 1. stanza of metaphor 1...
- English - 1. We sing beautiful songs together. 2. We learn classical songs and ...
- english - i was just wondering does this song lyric have a metaphor? The stars ...
- reading/poetry - for this assignment i have to write summary for each stanza the...
- English - Choose the topic that best limits the broad subjects music. A.) famous...
- English - 1. At the singing club, we meet at 9 every Saturday and sing classical...
- language arts - IN the poem “Swift Things are Beautiful” by Elizabeth Coatsworth...