Posted by Renee on Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 5:45pm.
Calculate the pH of a [Acid] M aqueous solution of each of the hydrochloric and acetic acids:
Acid [Acid] pH
I know that HCl is just -log(0.10) which is 1, but can't get the pH of HC2H3O2.
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 7:04pm
You need the molarity.
pH = -log(H^+)
chemistry - lisa, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 7:19pm
chemistry - Anonymous, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 10:34pm
i'm doing this problem too =)
Molarity for both hydrochloric and acetic acids are 0.10. For hydrochloric acid, i used the formula: pH = -log (0.10) = 1.
But should we do something else for acetic acid? because its pH is not 1.
chemistry - Anonymous, Monday, May 5, 2008 at 12:27am
never mind, I found out how to do this =)
(the post above was me by the way).
set up I.C.E. table for the equilibrium expression. Since we know that Ka value for acetic acid is about 1.76 x 10^-5, we can solve for x (which is [H+] in this case).
Ka = x^2 / 0.10 - x => approximation: 1.76 x 10^-5 = X^2 / 0.10. Solve for x. Then use pH = -log [H+] to find pH of acetic acid =).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Solution A:50cm^3 of 1.0mol dm^-3 hydrochloric acid,HCl Solution B:...
- Chemistry - I actually posted this up before and Gk helped out but i don't ...
- pH - what's the pH of the acid HCl with concentration of .15? the acid HC2H3O2 ...
- Chemistry - IN the polystyrene beaker, mix 20mL of 0.1 M Acetic acid and 25mL of...
- CHEMISTRY - IS THIS RIGHT? Name the following binary acids: HF(aq) – ...
- Chemistry 122 - A solution is prepared to be 0.10 M acetic acid, HC2H3O2, and 0....
- Chemistry - Provide the name or chemical formula, as appropriate, for each of ...
- pH- really hard one - What is the pH of the solution created by combining 1.00 ...
- Chemistry - pH - Calculate the pH of each of the following solutions: a) .35 M ...
- Chemistry - What is the pH of the solution created by combining 12.20 mL of the ...