Posted by Jennifer on Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 3:48pm.
Here's one of the questions I have problems with:
cube root of (x+2)=6th root of (9x+10)
A. -1, 6
B. [-13 +/- sqrt(193)]/2
C. 1, -6
D. [13 +/- sqrt(145)]/2
Please explain how to solve this. Should you cube both sides, or raise both to the 6th? and I get lost trying to do more than square a radical. i'd show my "work" which is basically nonsense but it's useless because I honestly have no idea how to solve this.
thanks in advance for the help. having an example of how to solve these kinds of problems would help me a lot, so if you can step by step would be great.
- math-radical equations - Jennifer, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 3:54pm
sorry to post twice; computer meltdown...
- math-radical equations - Damon, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 4:56pm
(x+2)^(1/3) = (9x+10)^(1/6)
raise both sides to the sixth
[ (x+2)^(1/3) ] ^6 = (x+2)^2
[ (9x+10)^(1/6)]^6 = (9x+10)^1 = 9x+10
x^2 + 4 x + 4 = 9 x + 10
x^2 -5 x - 6 = 0
(x-6)(x+1) = 0
x = 6 or x = -1
- math-radical equations - Damon, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 5:04pm
Oh, and always check the answers
in this case you have for x = -1
1^1/3 = 1^1/6 yes, ok
and for x = 6
8^1/3 = 64^1/6 ? = (8*8)^1/6 =(2*2*2*2*2*2)^1/6 = 2
2 = 2 sure enough
- math-radical equations - Damon, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 5:07pm
LOL, if I had really noticed it was multiple choice I would have tried x = -1 immediately :)
- math-radical equations - Jennifer, Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 9:24pm
thanks, Damon - you are awesome =)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math-radical equations - Here's one of the questions I have problems with: cube ...
- Algebra-Please help-I'm desperate to understand - Posted by Megan on Tuesday, ...
- math - determine the area of triangle abc when side ab= square root of x, side ...
- math calculus please help! - l = lim as x approaches 0 of x/(the square root of...
- Algebra - SIMPLIFY: ROOT 0F 7 * ROOT OF 14 SIMPLIFY: ROOT OF 1/5 EVALUATE, IF ...
- Math(Roots) - sqrt(24) *I don't really get this stuff.Can somebody please help ...
- algebra 2 - Not sure if either one of these answer are correct to simplify the ...
- algebra - simplify: square root of 5 + square root of 20 - square root of 27 + ...
- math,algebra,help - Directions are simplify by combining like terms. x radiacal ...
- Math - How do you find a square root of a number that's not a perfect square? I'...