Posted by william on Friday, May 2, 2008 at 12:10am.
solve for x
6tanx - 4sinx = 1
i tried it but got a quartic formula :S
16sin^4x + 8sin^3x + 37sin^2x - 36 = 0
- trig - Reiny, Friday, May 2, 2008 at 8:30am
This is a "nasty" problem and it does not simplify easily.
I don't know how you got your quartic equation.
I rewrote it as 6tanx = 1 + 4sinx
then graphed f(x) = 6tanx and
g(x) = 1+ 4sinx
There are two intersection points, one in quadrant I and another in quadrant III.
After a few iterations, I got x= 23.27º to come pretty close.
This is way beyond any highschool level I know, where did you get that question ?
- trig - william, Friday, May 2, 2008 at 10:51pm
I got the quartic by moving the sin to the right, squaring both sides, then multiplying everything by sin^2 and then changing the cos to sin.
My friend gave me this question, and he got it from his virtual school for gr 12 advanced functions lol.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- calc - The equation of the tangent line to y=f(x) at a=2 can be written in the ...
- calculus-integration! - should i use substitution?? if yes how should should i ...
- precal! - Prove: (3cosx + 4sinx)^2 + (4cosx - 3sinx)^2=5 ...this is all under ...
- math - solve the following trig equation : 7 = 8sin(1/2)x. I can solve this ...
- Algebra - Use the formula C=2pi to find the radius, r, for a circle with a ...
- Math-Trig - 1. Create an algebraic expression for sin(arccosx-arcsin3x) 2. The ...
- equations trig - 8sin^2x+sinxcosx+cos^2x=4
- PRECAL! - Prove: (3cosx + 4sinx)^2 + (4cosx - 3sinx)^2=5 ...this is all under ...
- help, bobpursely - Please take a look at DEVON's trig equation at 9:14 I must be...
- trig - I dont understand this. can you please tell how you got each answer? ...