Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Hopefully the following sites will help you:
1. These are interesting facts, but not necessarily funny:
From this site: http://www.digital-karma.org/culture/facts/funny-and-weird-facts-about-world-and-humans
1. • Marie Currie, who twice won the Nobel Prize, and discovered radium, was not allowed to become a member of the prestigious French Academy because she was a woman.
2. • The word 'denim' comes from 'de Nimes', Nimes being the town the fabric was originally produced.
3. • Charles the Simple was the grandson of Charles the Bald, both were rulers of France.
4. • Eau de Cologne was originally marketed as a way of protecting yourself against the plague.
5. • The richest 10 per cent of the French people are approximately fifty times better off than the poorest 10 per cent.
2. You have to go through all of them to find the ones about France and the French, as I did for you above:
3. You have to go through these as well:
(Broken Link Removed)
There are websites all in French but not really suitable to use in a classroom atmosphere!
Did you know that the theme park, Euro Disney, was initially a failure? When Disney changed many things in this park to appeal to Europeans, it began making money. One of the changes is that liquor is now served in Euro Disney. The name was also changed to Paris Disney because the euro is now the monetary unit of much of Europe. The Disney company didn't want the park to imply "Money Disney."
The guillotine was invented as a humanitarian move to prevent the suffering of prisoners condemned to death.
Many French people seriously resent a McDonald's restaurant on its beloved "main street," the Champs d'Elysee.
The Louvre Museum in Paris is stretches about six city blocks in length and it's four stories tall. It was once a palace where people lived and worked.
The Palace of Versailles has 700 rooms.