Posted by John on Monday, April 28, 2008 at 12:11am.
I have 3 calc problems that i have not been able to do please help me... i've been on here yesterday as well but no one was able to assist me with these particular ones...
1. If f(x)=5x^3–2/x^4
what i got was (4x^2+7x-12)/x^8
2. The position function of a particle is given by s=t^3–4t^2–7t t>=0
where s is measured in meters and t in seconds. When does the particle reach a velocity of 10 m/s? ____
3. f(x)=2x^2+7x+3/ sqroot of x
i got ((x^(-1/2))(4x+7)+1/2x^(-3/2)(2x^2+7x+3))/x
i had asked earlier and Damon answered them but it turned out to be wrong
Calculus- To Reiney - Reiny, Monday, April 28, 2008 at 8:52am
I assume you are referring to
Damon answered your #1 question correctly according to the way you typed it, but now your denominator is different, so which way is it?
If you want it the way you typed it this time, f(x) = If f(x)=5x^3–2/x^4
then f'(x) = [x^4(15x^2) - (5x^3-2)(4x^3)]/x^8
take out a common factor of x^3 from the top
= x^3(15x^3 - 4(5x^3-2))/x^8
another way to do this is to rewrite the original
If f(x)=5x^3–2/x^4 as
f(x) = 5x^-1 - 2x^-4
f'(x) = -5x^-2 + 8x^-5
= -5/x^2 + 8/x^5
getting a common denominator and simplifying gives you the same answer of
In the second question Damon made a typo by setting the derivative equal to 7 instead of 10.
If you had looked at his solution you should have noticed that, and should have been able to make the necessary changes.
for your third I suggest you write it as
f(x)=2x^2+7x+3/ sqroot of x
= f(x)=2x^2+7x+3/ x^(1/2) then do what I did in #1
so f(x) = 2x^(3/2) + 7x^(1/2) + 3x^(-1/2)
f'(x) = 3x^(1/2) + (7/2)x^(-1/2) - (3/2)x^(-3/2)
I see (1/2)x^(-3/2) as a common factor
f'(x) = (1/2)x^(-3/2)[6x^2 + 7x - 3]
= (6x^2 + 7x - 3)/(2x^(3/2))
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus please help - I have 3 calc problems that i have not been able to do ...
- socials - this is the same question I posted yesterday, it is due tommorow, oh ...
- Math - So lately in class, we've been doing stuff on finding the variables in ...
- Algebra - I am in need of assistance with the following problem: v-4(4-v) = -2(...
- english - could you please explain me how to use the following verb forms ...
- To MS SUE - ''Without the English civil war, democracy would have never ...
- calculus - Sorry to post this again, but I am still unable to understand it and ...
- To jhon, jackie, jill, sandra, mariam or whoever - Your posts have been removed...
- History - 1)Why might the US have been concerned early in the war about China's ...
- English - I urgently need to know if the following sentences are all possible. ...