Posted by sandy on Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 8:21pm.
a chemist needs 10 liters of a 25% acid solution. the solution is to be mixed from three solutions whose acid concentrations are 10% 20% 50% how may liters of each solution should the chmist use to satisfy the following?
a use as little as possible of the 50% solution
b use as much as possible of the 50% solution
c use 2 liters of the 50% solution
- algebra - Reiny, Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 10:08pm
let the amount of 50% solution be x L
let the amount of 20% solution by y L
let the amount of 10% solution be z or (10-x-y) L
then .1(10-x-y) + .2y + .5x = .25(10)
10-x-y + 2y + 5x = 25
y = -4x + 15 , relation (A)
also x+y ≤ 10 , relation (B)
so any (x,y) which satisfies both relations A and B will work
where do they intersect?
y = -4x + 15 with y = -x + 10
x = 5/3, then y = 25/3 , z = 0
notice the x intercept falls within (B)
let y=0, then x= 3.75 , z = 6.25
if x = 2 , then y = 7, and z = 1
50% . 20% . 10%
0 .. 15 .. not possible
5/3 . 25/3 ..0
15/4 . 0 ...25/4
2 ... 7 ... 1
a) for which of these is x as small as possible
b) for which of these is x as large as possible
c) when x = 2 , y = 7, z = 1
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - An industrial chemist will mix two acid solutions. One is 37% solution...
- Math - A chemistry teacher needs 2.5 liters of a sulfuric acid solution that is ...
- Math - a chemist has an 18% acid solution and a 36% acid solution. How many ...
- mixture problems - A chemist has two solutions of sulfuric acid. One is a 25% ...
- Math - A chemist needs to mix an 18% acid solution with a 45% acid solution to ...
- Algebra - A chemist has one solution that is 80% acid and a second solution that...
- Algebra - A chemist has two solutions of sulfuric acid. The first is one half ...
- algebra - Two acid solutions are available to a chemist. One is 10% nitric acid ...
- algebra - A lab assistant wants to make 5 liters of 27.2% acid solution. If ...
- Algebra 1 - Roman mixes 12 liters of 8% acid solution with a 20% acid solution...