Posted by Anonymous on Friday, April 25, 2008 at 12:35pm.
I just want to make absolutely sure that I now properly understand this:
I know how to use negation in a simple sentence. No problem.
I still am a bit shaky on sentences with two verbs; if I understood you correctly, then when a negative sentence has two verbs, both parts of the negative go before the verb that is in the infinitive.
Thus, if I wanted to say: "you cannot give us an apple", I would say:
"vous pouvez ne pas nous donner une pomme" IS THAT CORRECT???
(earlier I would have put it this way "vous ne pouvez pas nous donner une pomme" which, according to what I think you said, would be incorrect.)
Thank you once again for your help and clarification.
- French-Mme SraJMcGin - mk-tintin, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 1:01pm
negative form : ne + verbe conjugué + pas/plus....
ne + pas/plus ... + verbe à l'infinitif
so in your first sentence, the negative form refers to the verb "donner" = not to give
in your second sentence, the negative form refers to the verb "pouvoir" = cannot
- French-Mme SraJMcGin - SraJMcGin, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 3:25pm
Let's hope it's clear now to you. You must determine if it is the "object" of the infinitive, as in the first example or of the main/conjugated verb. Therefore:
vous ne pouvez pas nous donner une pomme. = you CAN'T (can not) is the more likely choice.
Which sounds better to you: You are able not to give us OR You are not able to give us. Hopefully it's now easy to tell?
- French-Mme SraJMcGin - mk-tintin, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 3:38pm
vous pouvez ne pas nous donner une pomme is correct too but
- French-Mme SraJMcGin - mk-tintin, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 3:43pm
- French-Mme SraJMcGin - Anonymous, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 4:47pm
Merci beaucoup Mme SraJMcGin et mk-tintin
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- French-SraJMcGin - Did I translate these two sentences correctly? (please ...
- French study help - Could anyone please give me some useful web site to learn ...
- math-calculus - 30/x^2-25 = 3/x-5-2/x+5 i be left with 30 = 3x^2-75-2x^2+50 i ...
- FRENCH to SraJMcGin - Bonjour, Mme! Pourriez-vous me dire comment on dit "...
- French - SraJMcGin - Faites un petit et simple dialogue (2 personnages et 3 ...
- French for Anonymous/E.G. - If you go back before the "repost" I found the first...
- French (SraJMcGin) - SraJmcGin, Could you please teach me how to type the ...
- Latin - I have to translate the following sentence into English: Familia nostra ...
- French for "Miche" - Bonjour encore une fois! (Hello again.) You have mentioned ...
- French - SraJMcGin/Frenchy - I'm posting questions related to those paintings ...