Posted by Sania on Friday, April 25, 2008 at 11:06am.
Which bond is most polar?
Which species has the shortest carbon/oxygen bond?
all carbon/oxygen bonds have same length
Plz Help me with this....I need to see if I answered it right
I put O-P for the first one, and carbon dioxide for the second question.....Total guess
- Chem URGENT!! - DrBob222, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 11:18am
For #1, look up the electronegativities of the each element, subtract one from the other for each pair, the largest difference produces the most polar bond.
For #2, draw the Lewis electron dot structure. Single bonds are longer than double bonds which are longer than triple bonds.
- Chem URGENT!! - DrBob222, Friday, April 25, 2008 at 12:39pm
I can't draw the Lewis structures on these boards because of spacing problems; i.e., the board recognizes only one space and ignores all the others I put in. Perhaps I can use dashes or words.
I think CO is CtriplebondO
I think CO2 is O=C=O
I think carbonate ion is C with single bonds to two O atoms and double bond to the other. Then you can draw resonance structures so each C-O bond would be part way between single and double. From this you can pick out the triple bond. That will be the shortest.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Consider the Lewis structure for the major resonance form of PCS–. (...
- Chemistry - "Given that the bond enthalpy of the carbon-oxygen bonds in carbon ...
- Chem 130 - Carbon monoxide burns in oxygen to form carbon dioxide. what volume ...
- Chemistry pretty urgent!!!!!!! - Chemical bonding question! The partial Lewis ...
- Chemistry - Just having some trouble with this chemistry problem.. Thanks for ...
- Chemistry-Polarity - I am having trouble understanding polarity. I think I ...
- Chemistry - "For which of the following equations is the value of delta H ...
- chemistry - need formula to this. Carbon monoxide reacts with oxygen to produce ...
- Chemistry - Rank the carbon-carbon bonds in order of decreasing bond length. ...
- physics - Given that 12g of carbon combines completely with 16g of oxygen to ...