Posted by JOHN on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 10:08pm.
x^2 - 14 x + 13 = 30 y
x^2 - 14 x = 30 y - 13
x^2 - 14 x + 49 = 30 y + 36 ****
(x-7)^2 = 30 y + 36
x - 7 = +/- sqrt (30 y + 36)
x = 7 +/- sqrt (30 y + 36)
where did you get the 49 or 36
- Math - Damon, Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 10:14pm
I did it below after you asked
- Math - Damon, Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 10:16pm
Completing the square
x^2 + a x = something
x^2 + a x + (a/2)^2 = something + (a/2)^2
x^2 -14 x = something
x^2 - 14 x +(14/2)^2 = something + (14/2)^2
x^2 - 14 x + 49 = something + 49
(x-7)^2 = something + 49
x - 7 = +/- sqrt (something + 49)
by taking half the second coefficient and squaring it, I get a perfect square.
# Math - Damon, Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 10:13pm
and 49 - 13 = 36
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math...For All Math Tutors - I would like to know how many of the people ...
- math - all i can say is math stinx dont mess with math. without math, a lot of ...
- math - I just do not understand how to figure this out. Find the number of ...
- English Grammar - A: What time is your math/Math class? B: At eleven forty-five...
- Math - Is IB Math Studies the same as Pre-Calculus? I heard that IB Math Studies...
- 3rd grade Math - Actual question on homework."EXPLAIN HOW YOU CAN BREAK APART ...
- math math math math - a. what is the general term of the following series? 60/...
- What Makes A Good Math Teacher? - I think a good math teacher is someone who can...
- Math - All of my life I have gotten a C average in math. I have been trying to ...
- English - Revise the folloing sentences to create parallel constructions. (...