Posted by Kate on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 1:59pm.
Sodium reacts with chlorine gas according to the reaction:\
2 Na (s) + Cl2 (g) ---> 2 NaCl (s)
What volume of chlorine gas, measured at 687 mmHg and 313 K, is required to form 275 g of NaCl?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 2:16pm
Convert 275 g NaCl to mols.
Convert mols NaCl to mols Cl2 using the coefficients in the balanced equation.
Use PV = nRT to solve for V of Cl2 at the stated conditions.
Chemistry - Kate, Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 4:52pm
1) 275 g NaCl ----> 4.71 mol NaCl
2) Next, 4.71 mol NaCl * 1Cl2/2 NaCl = 2.36 mol Cl
3) V= nRT/P
v= (2.36 mol)(0.0821 L atm/K Mol)(313K)/687mmHg = 0.0883 L
Final answer: v = 0.0883 L
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 5:43pm
All of your calculations and numbers look good until the last step. Pressure in PV = nRT must go in in units of atmospheres. Change by 687/760 = ?? atm.
Chemistry - Kate, Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 6:34pm
So, if I convert mmHg to atm I get .904 atm. When I plug that into the equation, the final answer is 67.1 L?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 10:10pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physical Science - Sodium (Na) reacts with chlorine gas (Cl2) to form sodium ...
- Chemistry Balancing Equations - Can you please tell me if these are correct? 1. ...
- Chemistry - 1.Chlorine gas can be produced commercially by passing an electric ...
- Chemistry - What mass of sodium chloride is produced when chlorine gas reacts ...
- Are my answers correct? Chem - I really need help with balancing these equations...
- Chemistry - Solutions of sodium hypochlorite, NaClO are sold as bleach. They are...
- Chemistry - with regard to the reaction of sodium with chlorine (2 Na + Cl2 = 2 ...
- chemistry - Sodium chloride is decomposed into the elements sodium and chlorine ...
- chemistry - What volume of chlorine gas at 34.0◦C and 1.38 atm is needed ...
- Chem 400 - Direct reaction of solid iodine (I2) and gaseous chlorine (Cl2) ...