Posted by Sara on Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 5:53pm.
Calculate the theoretical yield of aspirin to be obtained in this experiment, starting with 2.0 g of salicylic acid and 5.0 ml of acetic acid anhydride (density = 1.08 g/ml).
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 6:03pm
Writ the equation for salicylic acid + acetic anhydride to produce ASA.
This is a limiting reagent problem.
2a. Convert 2.0 g salicylic acid to mols.
2b. convert 5.0 mL to grams by density, then to mols.
3. Convert to mols ASA (aspirin)
a. Convert mols salicylic acid to mols ASA (1:1 ratio).
b. Convert mols acetic anhydride to mols ASA (1:1 ratio).
c. Choose the smaller number of mols ASA produced. The reagent producing this result is the limiting reagent.
4. Convert mols ASA in 2c to grams. That is the theoretical yield.
Post your work if you get stuck BUT tell me what you don't understand about the next step.
- chem- please check my answer - Sara, Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 6:05pm
(5.0ml)x(2.0g/1.08g/ml)x(1 mole S/138g S) x (1 mole Aspirin/1 mole S)x (180g Aspirin/ 1 mole Aspirin) = 12.077 g Aspirin
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 6:19pm
I don't get those numbers. Apparently you are using acetic anhydride as the limiting reagent. Unless I made a goof in my calculations, and I may have done that, salicylic acid is the limiting reagent. If you will show your calculations I can check it better.
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 5:28pm
- Chemistry - Ashley, Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 4:25pm
how did you get 3.42g?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - synthesis of aspirin - wanted to calculate the theoretical and ...
- chemistry - synthesis of aspirin - I wanted to calculate the theoretical and ...
- Chemisty - How to calculate teh theoretical yield of aspirin to be obtained ...
- chem - Aspirin, C9H8O4, is produced from salicylic acid, C7H6O3, and acetic ...
- Chemistry - Aspirin is prepared by heating salicylic acid, C7H6O3, with acetic ...
- chemistry - synthesis of aspirin - This is an experiment for a synthesis of ...
- chem - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is produced from salicylic acid (C7H6O3), and acetic ...
- AP Chemistry - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is synthesized by reacting salicylic acid (...
- chemistry - For the theoretical yield, I used the mass of acetic anhydride. Was ...
- Chemestry - Aspirin (C9H8O4) is synthesized by reacting salicylic acid (C7H6O3) ...