Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 12:26pm.
1) In the arithmetic progression, the 8th term is twice the 4th term and the 20th term is 40. Find the common difference and the sum of the terms from the 8th to the 20th term inclusive.
2) Find the least number of terms of the AP, 1+3+5...that are required to make a sum exceeding 4000.
Any help at all would be great
Maths - Reiny, Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 2:18pm
remember that t(n) = a+(n-1)d
t(8) = a+7d
t(4) = a+3d
it said: the 8th term is twice the 4th term ---> a+7d = 2(a+3d), simplify this
then it said: the 20th term is 40 ---> a+19d = 40
Solve these two equations.
2) YOu should know that
S(n) = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]
so you want n/2[2 + (n-1)(2)] > 4000
Maths - ve, Sunday, August 22, 2010 at 12:43pm
Maths - Anonymous, Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 6:00am
Th 4th term 0f an a p is 13 and the 10th term is 29 find the 16th term
physics - metric and non-metric system, Monday, January 21, 2013 at 10:19am
metric countries are : The United Kingdom,Canada,New Zealand,Republic of Ireland.
non-metre countries are: The United States,Burma(Myanmar),Liberia.
both metric and non-metric countries are:
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Further maths - The 8th term of a linear sequence is 18th and the 12th term is ...
- Mathematics - If the 8th term of an AP is 36 and the 16th term is 68. Find: a) ...
- math - if 4th term of an arithmetic progression is 3 times the 1st term nd 7th ...
- math - The 3rd term of an Arithmetic Progression is 10 more than the first term ...
- arithmetic - THE SUM OF THE 2ND AND 5TH TERMS OF AN A.P IS 42. IF THE DIFFERENCE...
- kumasi polytechnic - In A.P the difference between the 8th term and 4th term is ...
- Precalc - Find a formula for the nth term if... a)the 8th term is 8 and the 20th...
- Arithmetic Progression - In an AP the 6th term is half the 4th term and the 3rd ...
- maths - 1) The first term of arithmetic progression is -20 and the sum of it's ...
- maths - the sum of 8th term in an a.p is 150 while the sum of 20th term is 880....