Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 12:26pm.
1) In the arithmetic progression, the 8th term is twice the 4th term and the 20th term is 40. Find the common difference and the sum of the terms from the 8th to the 20th term inclusive.
2) Find the least number of terms of the AP, 1+3+5...that are required to make a sum exceeding 4000.
Any help at all would be great
- Maths - Reiny, Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 2:18pm
remember that t(n) = a+(n-1)d
t(8) = a+7d
t(4) = a+3d
it said: the 8th term is twice the 4th term ---> a+7d = 2(a+3d), simplify this
then it said: the 20th term is 40 ---> a+19d = 40
Solve these two equations.
2) YOu should know that
S(n) = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]
so you want n/2[2 + (n-1)(2)] > 4000
- Maths - ve, Sunday, August 22, 2010 at 12:43pm
- Maths - Anonymous, Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 6:00am
Th 4th term 0f an a p is 13 and the 10th term is 29 find the 16th term
- physics - metric and non-metric system, Monday, January 21, 2013 at 10:19am
metric countries are : The United Kingdom,Canada,New Zealand,Republic of Ireland.
non-metre countries are: The United States,Burma(Myanmar),Liberia.
both metric and non-metric countries are:
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - if 4th term of an arithmetic progression is 3 times the 1st term nd 7th ...
- Arithmetic Progression - In an AP the 6th term is half the 4th term and the 3rd ...
- Maths - 1..The first 2 terms of a geometric progression are the same as the ...
- maths - 1) The first term of arithmetic progression is -20 and the sum of it's ...
- Precalculus - The 8th term in an arithmetic sequence is 5, and the sum of the ...
- arithmetic - THE SUM OF THE 2ND AND 5TH TERMS OF AN A.P IS 42. IF THE DIFFERENCE...
- Maths - The 4th term of an AP is 6 if d sum of d 8th and 9th term is -72 the ...
- Mathematics - The 3rd and 8th term of an arithmetic progression A.P are -9 and ...
- math - in an ap the difference is between the 8th and 4th term is 20 and the 8th...
- Precalc - Find a formula for the nth term if... a)the 8th term is 8 and the 20th...