Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 1:36pm.
This is an SAT Question of the Day. The sum of the digits of a three-digit number is 12. If the hundreds digit is 3 times the tens digit and the tens digit is 1 over 2 the units digit, what is the tens digit of the number?
The way the question is phrased is very confusing.
The answer choices are:
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 1:55pm
let the tens digit be x
then the hundreds digit is 3x and
the unit digit is 2x
then x + 3x + 2x = 12
x = 2
check: my number must be 624, all the stated conditions are met
so the correct answer is 2
- math - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 2:03pm
One easy way to solve this is to try the numbers given as choices.
If the number is XYZ, then X+Y+Z=12
We know X=3Y (hundreds digit(X) is 3*tens digit(Y) so X = 3Y.
We also know the tens digit (Y) is 1/2 the units digit(Z) so 1/2*Z = Y which I rearranged to Z = 2Y
Now make a table
6.... 2 ... 4 ..... 12 and the first try gets it. If Y = 2, then X = 3Y = 3*2 = 6. If Y=2, then Z = 2Y = 4
and 6+2+4=12. Voila!
You can quickly go through the others to see that they won't work.
If Y = 3, then X = 9 and Z can't be a number because we're already at 12.
If Y = 4, then X = 12 and we've exceeded 12.
If Y = any other whole number, then 3*Y exceeds 12. Therefore, the tens digit must be 2. The number is 624. Check my thinking. Check my work.
- math - Anonymous, Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 2:12pm
The explanation said:
If x stands for the tens digit, then 3x stands for the hundreds digit and 2x stands for the units digit. Since the sum of the digits is 12, 3x + x + 2x = 12. Solving this gives x = 2.
Thank you for your help.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - This is an SAT question of the day that I can't understand. The sum of ...
- Math - Algebra - What is the linear equation that will represent the second ...
- Algebra - Math HW HELP! - 1) It is a five-digit whole number. 2) It is a ...
- Math - Iam a 5digit number my tens digit is the sum of my hundreds digits and ...
- algebra - what three digit number is less than 300 and the ones digit is 4 times...
- 4th grade - i am a 5 digit number my tens digit is the sum of my hundreds digit ...
- math - My thousands digit is twice my hundreds digit. The sum of my tens and ...
- 4th grade math - Find the mystery number. It is a 4 digit odd number. All the ...
- Math - Write a number that has a hundreds digit less than 7, a tens digit less ...
- Math - How do you write a number that has a hundreds digit less than 7 , a tens ...