Posted by LT on Monday, April 14, 2008 at 11:42pm.
Equal volumes of 1 M BaCl2 and 1 M NaSO4 are mixed. What effect will the addition of more Na2SO4 solution have on the concentration of Ba^2+ remaining in solution?
*increase the concentration of Ba^2+ ions
*Decreases the concentration of Ba^2+
*Ba^2+ will remain the same concnetration but be ionized less.
*There are no Ba^2+ ions in solution, so the Na2SO4 has nothing with which to react.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 12:07am
Yes, there is some (not much but some) Ba^+2 in solution.
BaSO4 ==> Ba^+2 + SO4^=
Ksp is about 1 x 10^-10
so (y)(y) = 1 x 10^-10
y = sqrt (1x10^-10) = 1 x 10^-5 M
So you look at the addition of Na2SO4. That is adding a common ion (remember the common ion effect) and that will shift the equilibrium to the ????? (left or right) making BaSO4 ?????(more or less) soluble.
Chemistry - LT, Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 12:21am
BaSO4 less soluble so answer D
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 11:00am
Right, BaSO4 will be less soluble but it appears that is answer C, not D. You don't have the answers labeled.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry 12 - 4. a. Using Le Chatelier's principle, what effect will an ...
- chemistry - What is the concentration of Ag+ remaining in solution? Calculate ...
- CHEMISTRY PLEASE HELP - a) How will the concentration of NaOH be affected if ...
- Chemistry - a) How will the concentration of NaOH be affected if during the ...
- Chemistry - Acid-Base Titrations a) How will the concentration of NaOH be ...
- Chemistry - in any aqueous solution what effect does the addition of NaOH (aq) ...
- Chemistry - If 100. mL of 0.400 M Na2SO4 is added to 200. mL of 0.600 M NaCl, ...
- chemistry - 1) All of the following are oxidation-reduction reactions except (a...
- Science - 5. You have made the following two solutions: X) hydrogen ion ...
- Chemistry - I have discovered a new chemical compound with the formula A2B. If a...