Posted by Lucy on Sunday, April 13, 2008 at 9:53pm.
Trigonometry identities are so hard...
I need some help proving these identities:
*Oh, and I'm only in grade 11, so the identities we use are quotient identity and Pythagorean identity.
sinx/(sinx + cosx) = tanx/(1 + tanx)
cos^2x - sin^2x = 2cos^2x - 1
Math (trigonometry) - drwls, Sunday, April 13, 2008 at 10:09pm
By inverting the fractions (a perfectly legal operation), the first equation can be converted to
(sin x + cos x)/sin x = (1 + tan x)/x
1 + cot x = 1 + 1/tan x
= 1 + cot x
In the second problem, substitute 1 - cos^2 x for sin^2 x on the left side.
Math (trigonometry) - Lucy, Sunday, April 13, 2008 at 10:26pm
Thanks for your help!
I understand the second problem now.
Except I'm confused about what you did in the first problem. We haven't learned anything about cotx yet...
I inverted the fractions, though and ended up with:
(sin x + cos x) / sin x = (1 + tan x) / tanx
(I'm just wondering...why did you write (1 + tan x) / x on the left side?)
Then simplifies to... cos x = 1 ??
I'm confused... :S
Math (trigonometry) - Phelelani, Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 8:50am
SOH CAH TOA... IT'S sin=opposite over hypotenus..... Cos=ajacent over hypotenus.... Tan=opposite over ajacent
Math (trigonometry) - Phelelani, Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 8:51am
SOH CAH TOA... IT'S sin=opposite over hypotenus..... Cos=ajacent over hypotenus.... Tan=opposite over ajacent..... When you want to fine thiter or any angle
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Simplifying with Trigonometry Identities - Hi, I am a senior in High School ...
- Pre-Calc - Trigonometric Identities Prove: (tanx + secx -1)/(tanx - secx + 1)= ...
- Trigonometry. - ( tanx/1-cotx )+ (cotx/1-tanx)= (1+secxcscx) Good one! Generally...
- Math - Im really struggling with these proving identities problems can somebody ...
- Mathematics - Trigonometric Identities - Prove: sinx + tanx = tanx (1 + cosx) ...
- Trigonometry Check - Simplify #3: [cosx-sin(90-x)sinx]/[cosx-cos(180-x)tanx] = [...
- maths - trigonometry - I've asked about this same question before, and someone ...
- Mathematics - Trigonometric Identities - Prove: (tanx)(sinx) / (tanx) + (sinx...
- Trigonometry - Prove the following trigonometric identities. please give a ...
- Math (trigonometric identities) - I was given 21 questions for homework and I ...