Posted by Hailey on Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 8:43am.
verify the identities:
1.) 2tanx-(1+tanx)^2 = -secx
*the ãis only over the 3*
any help is greatly appreciated!!
Math (Trig) typo edit - Hailey, Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 8:49am
ã is supposed to represent square root.
so for number 2
it's 1/2 (square root 3 cosx-sinx)
Math (Trig) a.s.a.p, thanks! - Reiny, Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 11:57am
LS = 2sinx/cosx - (1+sinx/cosx)^2
= 2sinx/cosx - ((cosx + sinx)/cosx)
= 2sinx/cosx - (cos^2 x + 2sinxcosx + sin^2 x)/cos^2 x
= (2sinxcosx -(1 + 2sinxcosx))/cos^2 x
= -1/cos^2 x
= -sec^2 x
you had -secx on the right side
I think you made a typo
2. LS = cosxcos330 + sinxsin330
but sin 330 = -sin30 = -1/2
and cos 330 = cos30 = √3/2
= (√3/2)cosx - 1/2 sinx
= 1/2(√3 cosx - sinx)
Why don't you try the third one.
Change everything to sines and cosines
let me know how you did.
Math (Trig) a.s.a.p, thanks! - Reiny, Thursday, April 10, 2008 at 12:07pm
for the third one you had
Your lack of brackets made this ambiguous.
I tried (1+cos2x)/sinx=cotx and tested with 40º, did not work
I tried 1+cos^2 x/sinx=cotx and tested with 40º, did not work
I tried 1+(cos2x/sinx)=cotx and tested with 40º, did not work
check your typing of the question.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Im really struggling with these proving identities problems can somebody ...
- Simplifying with Trigonometry Identities - Hi, I am a senior in High School ...
- drwls - My previous question: Verify that (secx/sinx)*(cotx/cscx)=cscx is an ...
- Pre-Calc - Trigonometric Identities Prove: (tanx + secx -1)/(tanx - secx + 1)= ...
- Math (Trigonometry) - We are working on verifing identities using trigonomic ...
- Trig Help - Prove the following: [1+sinx]/[1+cscx]=tanx/secx =[1+sinx]/[1+1/sinx...
- Math please help quick - Which of the following are identities? Check all that ...
- Trigonometry. - ( tanx/1-cotx )+ (cotx/1-tanx)= (1+secxcscx) Good one! Generally...
- Precalculus/Trig - I can't seem to prove these trig identities and would really ...
- Math - I'm only aloud to manipulate one side of the problem and the end result ...