Posted by Amanda on Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 11:18pm.
1. Explain in detail how to determine the value of the independent variable in a quadratic relation if the value of the dependent variable is known.
Please check my answer -
You would substitute the value for the dependent variable, then you would solve for the independent variable.
(is it right?)
2. What is the greatest number of solutions a quandratic equation can have? Explain, with an example, why all of the solutions to the equations may not be reasonable answers to the original problem.
A quandratic equations can have either no solution, one solution or two solutions.
Can someone please help me with the answer to this question too? Please explain it also.. i find it so hard. >.<
Math ; please please help. - drwls, Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 11:34pm
1. The independent variable is the "x" in the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = y (the dependent variable)
If you know y, then solve
ax^2 + bx + (c-y) = 0
c-y is a new constant, c'
The equation can be solved by completing the square or using the equation
x = [-b +/- sqrt(b^2-4ac')]/2a
2. You are right; the greatest number of solutions is two. There can be one solution in some cases. It is possible that all solutions contain imaginary numbers (the square root of a negative number), in which case there are no REAL solutions.
It is possible that only one of the two solutions is a reasonable solution to the problem. For example, if you throw a ball and ask when it hits the ground,
y = at - bt^2,
there will be two solutions; one will be the time t=0 when you threw it.
Math ; please please help. - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 9:26pm
Variable of 3/23=j/3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Stats - In each of the four examples listed below, one of the given variables is...
- Math (Please Help) - Select the phrase that correctly completes the sentence. ...
- MATH help - Which of the following statements is true? A . The dependent ...
- math - 8 divided by 3 plus 6= You asked 8 divided by 3 plus 6= (8/3) + 6 = 2(2/3...
- Social studies - Select the phrase that correctly completes the sentence. The ...
- 6TH GRADE MATH - The value of the dependent variable in a function is always ...
- MATH - D. Sam and Pete have a job dog-sitting for their neighbor. He pays them $...
- math mrs sue please help or any one - I'm in connections and this is a quiz the ...
- Stats - 6. In each of the four examples listed below, one of the given variables...
- Adult Development and life Assessment - What do we call the variable that is ...