Posted by Lucy on Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 9:40pm.
What is "constitutional power?"
I have to write a response to this statement (either agreeing/disagreeing): "The Prime Minister of Canada has more constitutional power than the President of the United States."
So I don't quite understand what constitutional power is =/
- History - Writeacher, Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 9:43pm
What does the US Constitution specifically allow the President to do?
What does the Canadian Constitution specifically allow the Prime Minister to do?
- History - Ms. Sue, Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 9:43pm
Constitutional power is the power granted by a nation's constitution.
In the United States, power is divided between the executive branch (the president), the legislative branch (Congress) and the judicial branch (the courts). It's called a system of checks and balances so that power is divided fairly evenly.
What powers does the Canadian Constitution give the prime minister?
- History - Lucy, Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 10:24pm
Okay, I think I understand now!
Canadian Constitution (from another website):
In a deliberate departure from the U.S. model, the Fathers of Confederation awarded to the federal Parliament the residual power, i.e., jurisdiction over all areas not specifically assigned to the provincial legislatures.
So the federal system in Canada is more powerful than the American one.
The United States has the system of "checks and balances..." which limit the executive branch's power, but I'm not sure if Canada has anything similar.
I think I'm going to agree with the statement.
Thanks Writeacher and Ms. Sue. :)
- History - Ms. Sue, Sunday, April 6, 2008 at 10:28pm
You're welcome. :-)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- American Government - Why is it easier for the prime minister of Britain to pass...
- social studies (check plz) - Which statement best describes the government of ...
- Slavery - Did Lincoln have the constitutional power to abolish slavery (before ...
- US History - At the Constitutional Convention, why did Virginia favor a plan by ...
- U.S. History - Electoral Vote in 1792: At the Constitutional Convention, why did...
- United States Government - The United States has this form of government. *...
- Government - Which scenario best illustrates how the power to make treaties in ...
- American government - Which scenario best illustrates how the power to make ...
- Prime Minister - If you were Prime Minister Stephen Harper, what position would ...
- goverment - “The President of the United States would be liable to be impeached...