Posted by joyce on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 10:57pm.
Math - Anonymous, Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 11:02pm
What are you supposed to do? Factor?
Math - joyce, Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 11:19pm
Math - joyce, Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 11:40pm
Math - Original poster, Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 11:47pm
m^2 - m - 12 is simply (x-4)(x+3)
x^2 + 6x + 27 is a weird one if you only just started learning how to factor. Not to mention the factors contain imaginary numbers. You can solve it in two ways. The first way I forgot -.-. The second is to use the quadratic formula which goes (-b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a) and/or (-b-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a).
I'm going to rewrite the equation as such:
1x^2 + 6x^1 + 27x^0
ax^2 + bx^1 + cx^0
a is the coefficient of x^2 which is 1. b is the coefficient of x which is 6 and c is the coefficient of x^0 which is 27.
So substitute the values of a, b, and c into the quadratic formula and you get the roots. Which are -3 (+/-) 3sqrt(-2). Then subtract them from x and you get your factors which are (x+3-3sqrt(-2)) and (x+3+3sqrt(-2)).
Now that I finished it's ridiculously silly for your teacher to ask this of you if you just learned to factor. Or if you are really behind than you need to study -.- since factoring is basic stuff. Well unless you meant x^2-6x-27 than that's a lot more simpler whose factors are (x-9)(x+3).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I'm worried about my math. 1. Why don't you buy a math self- teaching ...
- Math...For All Math Tutors - I would like to know how many of the people ...
- math - all i can say is math stinx dont mess with math. without math, a lot of ...
- math - What is temperature when you do math. In seventh grade math is hard and I...
- math - I just do not understand how to figure this out. Find the number of ...
- LNU - math In a class of 50 students it was found 21 are taking English 14 are ...
- English Grammar - A: What time is your math/Math class? B: At eleven forty-five...
- Math - A fertilizer covers 5/8 square foot in 1/4 hour. i don't understand how ...
- Math - Is IB Math Studies the same as Pre-Calculus? I heard that IB Math Studies...
- 3rd grade Math - Actual question on homework."EXPLAIN HOW YOU CAN BREAK APART ...