Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 9:27am.
For the first question I really need all help I can get. Thanks!
1. Given a and b are unit vectors,
a) if the angle between them is 60 degrees, calculate (6a+b) . (a-2b)
b) if |a+b| = sqrt3, determine (2a-5b) . (b+3a)
2. The vectors a = 3i - 4j - k and b = 2i + 3j - 6k are the diagonals of a parallelogram. Show that this parallelogram is a rhombus, and determine the lengths of the sides and angles between the sides.
3. If a and b are perpendicular, show that |a|^2 + |b|^2 = |a + b|^2. What is the usual name of this result.
b) If a and b are not perpendicular, and a-b = c, express |c|^2 in terms of a and b. What is the usual name of this result?
- Math please help - Reiny, Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 11:17am
You seem to post quite a few vector questions under the name of anonymous.
Are you the same person?
Please use a first name or some other nick to identify yourself.
Your first question uses the basic laws of vectors.
(2a-5b)∙(b+3a) = 2a∙b + 6│a│^2 - 5│b│^2 - 15a∙b
= 6│a│^2 - 5│b│^2 - 13a∙b
we know │a│ and │b│ are 1 each and
a∙b = │a││b│cos60║
a∙b = 1*1*1/2
so 6│a│^2 - 5│b│^2 - 13a∙b
= 6*1 - 5*1 - 13*1/2
for 1. b) make a diagram and find cos▀ using sides 1,1,√3
that way you can find a∙b and follow my example of a)
2. In a parallelogram the diagonals bisect each other, but in a rhombus (which is a parallelogram) they bisect each other at right angles.
so take the dot product, and see if you get zero. (you will)
then 1/2 of vector a + 1/2 of vector b will give you a side
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Trig - I need help with my vectors unit. I'm really confused about how to set ...
- Math - Let a, b, and c be unit vectors, such that a+b+c=0. Show that the angle ...
- science (physics) Need to solve this today please - (a) Express the vectors A, B...
- Calculus - SORRY, i wrote this question wrong before ... u, v, w are UNIT ...
- calulas and VECTORS - Calculate to the nearest degree, the angle between the ...
- Calculus - hah im trully very SORRY, ok now i double checked.. so everything ...
- Math - if vectors a+2b and 5a-4b are perpendicular to each other and a and b are...
- Math vectors - For which of the following conditions will the cross product of ...
- Calculus and vectors - |C|=5 and |D|=8. The angle formed by vectors C and D is ...
- Math: Calculus - Vectors - Two forces of 90 N act on an object. The forces make ...