Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 11:12pm.
Find the scalar equation of each of the following planes. State which of the planes, if any, are coincident.
a) r = (-8,-1,8) + s(-5,1,4) + t(3,2,-4)
Scalar Equation: -12x - 8y - 13z = 0
b) r = (-2,-2,5) + s(3,1,-1) + t(4,1,-4)
Scalar Equation: -3x + 8y - z + 15 = 0
*****How do you determine if the planes are the same?
- Math: Scalar Equations of a Plane - Reiny, Friday, March 28, 2008 at 9:15am
(-5,1,4) and (3,2,-4) are two direction vectors on the first plane.
So we need a normal to these planes, the cross-product will give us that.
Which will be (12,8,13)
so the scalar equation will be
12x + 8y + 13z = D
(-8,-1,8) was given as a point on the plane, so
12(-8) + 8(-1) + 8(13) = D
D = 0
so the scalar equation is
12x + 8y + 13z = 0
Do the second one the same way.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - Properties of Planes - write a scalar equation, given it's vector ...
- Math - Equations of planes - Write a vector equation and scalar equation of the ...
- Math- Intesection of a plane and line - Does the line [x,y,z]=[5,-9,3]+k[1,-12,2...
- Math - Equation of Lines - Determine whether the following pairs of planes are ...
- Math: Scalar Equation of a Plane - Determine whether the following pairs of ...
- Math - Intersection of planes - Find the vector equation of the line of ...
- Physics - What are the products (either vector or scalar for each answer) of: a...
- Maths - Properties of Planes - Wrtie a scalar equation given it's parametric ...
- Math - Multiplying a vector by a scalar results in: a) a scalar b) a ...
- physics: scalars/vectors - Please check. 1. Which of the following quantities ...