Posted by Kaylee on Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 6:14pm.
A big sale is happening today at the Newton Shoe Store. You buy two pair od running shoes. The first pair is $64, which is 20% off the original price. The second pair os $72, which is 40% off the original price. what is the persent of discount on the Combined purchase os the two pairs of shoes? (assuming no sales tax is involved)
I know that you have to find the original prices of the shoes, then, add that together, then add the percents together, and find the total percent, correct?
I don't know how to get to the original price, or how to find the end percent. Can anyone help?
- Algebra - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 8:44pm
To find the original price:
Since the price for the first pair is 20% off the original price, you're actually paying 80% of the original price.
0.8x = 64
x = 64/0.8
x = 80
Using the same method, find the original price of the second pair.
We'll be glad to check your answer.
- Algebra - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 9:42pm
Yes. The original price of the second pair was $120 -- so the two pairs of shoes together would have cost $200.
But you paid only paid $136 for the twopairs.
To find the percent of discount for both pairs:
$200 - 136 = $64
64/200 = .32 = 32%
- Algebra - Kaylee, Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 9:46pm
Oh THANK YOU!!! i've benn so confused!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Obama bought a pair of shoes at 20% discount.If he saved $700,calculate: ...
- algebra - Natasha has been saving money to buy a new pair of running shoes. The ...
- Algebra - The original price of a pair of jeans is $80. A store marks a pair of ...
- Math - In Store A, a pair of shoes that regularly sell for $54.99 is on sale at ...
- Math - Shoes are on sale, buy one and get the cheaper pair 50% off. Jane and ...
- Math (Algebra) - Amy paid 82.97 for a pair of running shoes during a 20% off ...
- algebra - Tod paid $81.22 for a pair of shoes during a 30% off sale. What was ...
- Math - lola has 75$. she buys a pair of shoes on sale for one half off and a ...
- math - A men's shoe store uses a markup rate of 115% on its most popular brands ...
- algebra - amy paid 78.42 for a pair of running shoes during a 25% off sale what ...