Posted by john on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:16pm.
for each of the following synthesis reaction indentify the missing reactant(s) or product(s) and then balance the resulting equation
a) Mg +__________ ----------> MgO
b) _________ + O2-----------> Fe2O3
c) Li + Cl2 -------> _________
d) Ca + __________------> CaI2
- chemistry - DBob222, Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:21pm
Tell me what you don't understand about these problems. It appears obvious to me that the first one must have O2 added to it to obtain MgO.
Mg + O2 ==> MgO, then balance by
2Mg + O2 ==> 2MgO
The others are done the same way.
- chemistry - john, Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:26pm
so for B) would it be 2Fe2O3?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:32pm
B is Fe + O2 ==> Fe2O3. then balance to give
4Fe + 3O2 ==> 2Fe2O3
C is Li + Cl2==> LiCl (the valence of Li is 1 and Cl is 1; therefore, the formula is LiCl. Then balance.
d. Ca + I2 ==> CaI2, then balance.
- chemistry - john, Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 4:45pm
so C is 1Li1Cl
d is Ca2l2?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 5:08pm
Li + Cl2 ==> LiCl, then if you want to balance it it is
2Li + Cl2 ==> 2LiCl (Placing a 1, as in Li1Cl, is not wrong BUT no one does it BECAUSE if we write Li we imply there is one of Li; therefore, we don't write the 1s, only numbers that are not 1. )
I don't know where you get Ca2I2?
Ca + I2 ==> CaI2 and it is balanced as is.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Biology - Assuming that the conditions of the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium are met...
- Chemistry - I don't understand how to work out this problem, non the less where ...
- spanish 2 - Please fill in the blanks with the correct spanish form of the word ...
- physics Help please! - h(m) KE (J) PEgravity (J) PEelastic (J) E 0 ______ ...
- Analogies PLEASE HELP! - insolvent : rich :: penniless : _________ mischief : ...
- Spanish help please - Can someone help me I really don't understand this and ...
- macroeconomics - Year - 2000 Nominal GDP: 9,817 Real GDP: ___________ GDP ...
- math - James has a board that is 3/4 foot long. He wants to cut the board into ...
- Grammar - 1. Neither the fracture nor the lacerations __________ surgery. A) ...
- Chemistry(defintions) - I need help on finding the definitions to these: ...