Posted by scooby doo on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 8:17pm.
lois rode her bike to visit a friend. She traveled at 10 miles an hour. While she was there it began to rain. Her friend drove her home at 25 miles per hour. Lois took 1.5 hours longer to go to a friends then to return home. How many hours did it take Lois to arrive at her friend's house?
algebra 1 - DrBob222, Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 8:29pm
distance = rate x time.
return trip = 25 mph x time
going = 10 mph x (time + 1.5)
distance is the same; therefore, set them equal to each other.
25t = (10(t+1.5)
solve for time
time + 1.5 = time it took Lois to go to her friends house. Post your work if you get stuck.
algebra 1 - drwls, Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at 8:29pm
Call the two times t1 and t2. Call the distance between points D.
D = 10 t1
D = 25 t2
t1 = t2 + 1.5
t1 = 2.5 t2 would be a good substitution in the last equation. Then you will have one equation on one unknown (t2). Once you have that, you can compute t1.
algebra 1 - Nikky, Monday, February 24, 2014 at 8:41pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra I - 1. A Passenger train's speed is 60mi/h and a freight train's speed ...
- math - Hannah took a trip yo visit her cousin. She drove 120 miles to reach her ...
- algebra - Gemma recently rode her bicycle to visit her friend who lives 6 miles ...
- College Algebra - Jen recently rode her bicycle to visit her friend who lives 12...
- algebra - george drove to two town at 60 miles per hour and drove back home at ...
- math/ pre algebra - Lydia rode 243 miles in a three day bike trip. On the first ...
- alg - george drove to two town at 60 miles per hour and drove back home at 30 ...
- algebra - diana drove 320 miles, then increased her speed by 10 miles per hour ...
- Math - Greg rode his bicycle at a constant speed of 20 miles per hour. Plot ...
- MATHS!!! - Calvin was making a trip to the University of Chicago. When he drove ...