Posted by Ty on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 4:18pm.
questions( there are 3 so I will # 1-3)
info: A 18.9 kg object is attached to a cord that is wrapped around a wheel of radius 10.7 cm. The acceleration of the object down the frictionless incline is measured to be .9 m/s2. Assume the axle of the wheel to be frictionless. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
1.) Find the tension in the rope. Answer in units of N
2.) Find the moment of inertia of the wheel. Answer in units of kg*m2
3.) Find the angular speed of the wheel 1.77 sec after it begins rotating, starting from rest. Answer in units of rad/sec.
so lost! Don't even know where to begin!!!
physics - bobpursley, Monday, March 24, 2008 at 4:41pm
Start with the tension.
Then the moment of inertia...
Torque=I *angular acceleration
Force*radius= I * linear acceleration/rad
solve for I.
physics - Ty, Monday, March 24, 2008 at 5:58pm
Found the tension which wasgreat! Thanks.
but would the linear acceleration be .9 m/s2?
physics - Ty, Monday, March 24, 2008 at 6:09pm
never mind- I figured it out.
ok so then, for the angular speed, would I sinply use wfinal ^2=winitial^2+2(angular acceleration)(distance)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A 16 kg mass is attached to a cord that is wrapped around a wheel with...
- PHYSICS - A wheel in the shape of a uniform disk of radius R and mass mp is ...
- Physics Classical Mechanics` - A wheel in the shape of a uniform disk of radius ...
- Physics - A uniform disk of radius 0.45 m is mounted on a frictionless, ...
- physics - A wheel is mounted on a frictionless axle. A cord is wrapped around ...
- College Physics - A wheel of radius 0.398 m is mounted on a frictionless ...
- physics - A uniform disk of radius 0.48 m is mounted on a frictionless, ...
- Physics - In the figure below, a wheel of radius 0.275 m is mounted on a ...
- physics - a wheel radius 0.25 m is mounted on a frictionless horizontal axle. ...
- Physics - A cord is wrapped around the rim of a wheel .250 m in radius, and a ...