Posted by BB on Monday, March 24, 2008 at 1:28am.
Toulmin Model and Campus Gun Control?
I'm getting really confused about this. I need to break down an article according to the toulmin model within the next few hours. It's about gun control on campuses. So far I've got:
Claim: Guns should be allowed on campuses because they would stop or deter school shootings.
The article goes on to talk about how no one was able to stop recent school shootings (VT, NIU) so obviously the current no guns allowed policy on campuses isn't working. It says that guns in the hands of good guys acts as a deterrent to the bad guys, and if any of the students or professors (the "good guys") had been carrying guns they probably would have been able to stop the perpetrator. What data, warrant, and backing can I draw from this?
Toulmin Model Anyone? - BB, Monday, March 24, 2008 at 1:57am
* Claim: Allowing guns on campus stops or deters school shootings.
* Data: Recent school shootings (45 since '96) weren't stopped and no one else had a gun.
* Warrant: If guns were allowed someone probably would have shot the perpetrators.
* Backing: none
Am I even close on this? I'm so confused!
Comm. Arts - SraJMcGin, Monday, March 24, 2008 at 10:00am
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Here is an excellent "diagram" of the Toulmin Model:
As for the "Backing" other examples from newspapers, etc. should help. It would appear you are on the right path, but try to cover all 6 points.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- social studies - what will obama do for for jobs, education and gun control? i ...
- us history - Many Floridians are concerned about gun control. Some people ...
- social studies - Where could I find an article about gun control?
- Social Sciences - I need to write an essay using the second amendment ...
- History - What are some issues today about gun control? I know that there are a ...
- History - 15.) Which change to the article would show bias in favor of one side ...
- policy issue - I have to come up with a issue statement about a policy and make ...
- Business Law - Imagine that the President of the United States has tried for ...
- crime control model - •How do advocates of the crime control model view plea-...
- English - I have to write an english assignment about banning a reality tv show...