Posted by Lisa on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:04pm.
A woman drove to work at an average speed of 40 miles per hour and returned along the same route at 30 miles per hour. If her total traveling time was 1 hour, what was the total number of miles in the round trip?
- math - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:18pm
Her average speed was 35 miles per hour. Since the round trip took her 1 hour, what was the total number of miles in the round trip?
If you post your answer, we'll be glad to check it.
- math - Damon, Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:18pm
went t hours at 40
went (1-t) at 30
40 t = 30 (1-t)
70 t = 30
t = 3/7 of an hour
distance at 40 = (3/7)(40) = 120/7
distance at 30 = (4/7)(30) = 120/7 better be the same:) check
so total distance = 240/7
- math - Lisa, Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:25pm
I forgot to mention that this is an SAT question of the Day and they give you options for answers. The options are:
Sorry if the way I put it was confusing.
- math - Damon, Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:30pm
240/7 = 34 2/7
not allowed to use average because distance, not time, is the same
- math - Damon, Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:31pm
I did not see that SAT question of the day. I usually do them.
- math - Lisa, Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 7:33pm
Oh, this question is from a while ago. They are very helpful in preparing for the SAT. Thank you for your help.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - This is an SAT prep question. A woman drove to work at an average speed ...
- maths - A motorist travels 120 miles to his destionation at an average speed of ...
- math - Hannah took a trip yo visit her cousin. She drove 120 miles to reach her ...
- Math - Ms. Peters drove from her home to the park at an average speed of 30 ...
- Algebra 1 - Nico drives from school to the store at 25 miles per hour. He drives...
- Math.. - A car goes at 40 miles per hour and returns at the same route at 30 ...
- math - andys average driving speed for a 4-hour trip was 45 miles per hour. ...
- MATH - Bob drove to the store( a distance fo 10.5) miles at ana average speed of...
- Math- Multi-step word problems - A plane traveling from Phoenix to Washington, D...
- math - On a 9-hour trip home from winter break, Mary was forced to drive on a ...