Posted by Fabian on Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 11:06pm.
I need help
The design of a new airplane requires a gasoline tank of constant cross-sectional area in each wing. A scale drawing of a cross section is shown here. The tank must hold 5000lb of gasoline, which has a density of 42 lb/ft3. Estimate the length of the tank.
Y0 = 1.5 ft, Y1 = 1.6 ft, Y2 = 1.8 ft, Y3 = 1.9 ft, Y4 = 2.0 ft, Y5 = Y6 = 2.1 ft
And the horizontal spacing is 1 ft.
Math Nightmare - drwls, Friday, March 14, 2008 at 7:58am
Without the drawing or a better verbal description of the wind geometry, we cannot help you. The volume of the tank must be
V = (mass)/(density)
= (5000 lb)/(42 lb/ft^3) = 119.0 ft^3
The volume V equals the cross sectional area times the length in this case. Figure out the area and use it to calculate the length
Math Nightmare - katy, Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 12:50am
use the trapezoidal rule with the scale so its
height =1, so
(1/2) (1.5+ 2*1.6+ 2*1.8+ 2*1.9+ 2*2.0+ 2*2.1+ 2.1)
which equals 11.2
so 119/11.2= 10.625 or 10.63
and that is the answer
Math Nightmare - Joseph President, Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 2:13pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- phys - Water flows steadily from an open tank into a pipe as shown in the figure...
- algebra 1 - The Ricco family filled the gasoline tank of their car at the ...
- physics - (a) A rectangular gasoline tank can hold 41.0 kg of gasoline when full...
- Math - A vehicle starts w/ a full tank of gasoline and travels 150 miles. While ...
- physics - Water flows steadily from an open tank into a pipe. The elevation of ...
- physics - A rectangular gasoline tank can hold 44.0 kg of gasoline when full. ...
- science - a large fiberglass tank was placed in a pit, before pipes could be ...
- math - If one tank has an 80 x 80cm cross section; the other has a 60 x 60cm ...
- Math - When 6 gallons of gasoline are put into a car's tank, the indicator goes ...
- Chemistry - An automobile gasoline tank holds 20.0 gal when full. How many ...