Posted by G on Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 10:12am.
My book uses the slope y-intercept method for graphing.
I am trying to graph the following:
(sign > is greater then or equal to)
The way I understand it I would start on the Y axis at 0 and go down 5 and then to the right 2 for the -5/2. Then I would go up 3 and to the right 2 for the 3/2. The book shows(0,3/2) and (2,-7/2) as the coordinates. I have tried several different ways. I do not arrive at these coordinates.
- Algebra - Reiny, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 10:58am
No, the first step in your process is wrong.
The -5/2 IS the y-intercept and -5/2 is -2.5
So you are at (0,-2.5), now go up 3 and to the right 2, for the second point (2,0.5)
In fraction form these points should be
(0, -5/2) and (2,1/2)
Join them with a solid line, and shade in the region above the line.
Unless you typed the inequation incorrectly, the book answers you supplied are wrong.
- Algebra - G, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 11:56am
Thank you for your response.
This is a rough graph with the exact coordinates stated in the book.
0 ' ' ' ' 'X
- Algebra - Reiny, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 3:03pm
My point was and my point still is that the book is wrong if these points are supposed to satisfy the "equation" part of the inequality.
The points I gave you DO satisfy the equation part of the inequality, thus they establish the boundary of the region you want.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra-Graphing Linear Equation - Y<2X+4 The way I unerstand from the book ...
- Math - If I were to graph 20a+34b is greater than or equal to 240, which would ...
- algebra - Which of the following is not a step used when graphing the equation y...
- Algebra - Find the slope and the y-intercept. y=5x I know the slope would be 5, ...
- Slopes - Given y = 2x – 4, choose the statement that accurately describes this ...
- ALGEBRA - Do I place the following two equations on the same line as they both ...
- graphing! - can someone help me? okay so I am given this : (a) y= x-4 (b) y=2-x ...
- algebra - x+9>2 how do I solve and graph this? The graphing part would be ...
- College Algebra - 1.The graph of y = - 1/2 |x - 5| - 3 can be obtained from the ...
- math - I'm having trouble trying to identify which method is best to use for ...