Posted by John on Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:11am.
e.g. Mike, this is Adams.
In this sentence, Mike and Adams are content words, so they are stressed.
What about 'is'? 'Is' is a verb. Verbs are content words, which are stressed. I know that a verb is stressed in a sentence. Do we have to stress 'is' in e.g.?
- English Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:17am
John, this cannot be a complete sentence unless you delete the "e.g."
What is the entire context of this phrasing? (Context = the sentences around this)
If you delete the "e.g." --
Mike = noun, person being spoken to
this = pronoun referring to Adams, subject of sentence
is = linking verb
Adams = noun, predicate noun
If you're referring to HOW you would pronounce this, I'll re-write it below, with the stressed syllables in bold.
Mike, this is Adams.
Let me know if this does or doesn't answer your question.
- English Grammar - John, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:24am
Thank you. Do you mean 'is' is not stressed? How about the follwoing?
1. How are you?
2. Yes, they are.
In the two sentences, I think the verb 'are' is stressed.
- English Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:33am
Yes, you're right. In those last two sentences, the verb "are" is stressed. But not in the sentence of introduction. The names are the only words stressed in that particular sentence. In fact, "this is" actually sounds like this: "this'z" -- we don't even pronounce the "i" in "is."
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English Grammar - e.g. Nice to meet you, Mike. 1. Stress Nice. Nice is a content...
- English Grammer - How do you write Douglas Adams in the plural tense? Is it ...
- English - 1. Referring to Mike's passage, complete the next passage about the ...
- English/Grammar - I have an English 10 Summer Assignment about grammar and such...
- Spanish help - In spanish why are the present-tense verbs for yo complete ...
- English - Thank you very much. I will certainly use the information from the ...
- Accented Syllables-Writeacher - I feel stupid. I honestly can't hear it when I ...
- Grammer - I am having trouble with identifying what thw words in a sentence are ...
- English expression - In Western culture, a man is introduced to a woman and a ...
- english - locate 10 words from your dictionary,words t hat has stressed,on the ...