Posted by John on Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:11am.
e.g. Mike, this is Adams.
In this sentence, Mike and Adams are content words, so they are stressed.
What about 'is'? 'Is' is a verb. Verbs are content words, which are stressed. I know that a verb is stressed in a sentence. Do we have to stress 'is' in e.g.?
English Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:17am
John, this cannot be a complete sentence unless you delete the "e.g."
What is the entire context of this phrasing? (Context = the sentences around this)
If you delete the "e.g." --
Mike = noun, person being spoken to
this = pronoun referring to Adams, subject of sentence
is = linking verb
Adams = noun, predicate noun
If you're referring to HOW you would pronounce this, I'll re-write it below, with the stressed syllables in bold.
Mike, this is Adams.
Let me know if this does or doesn't answer your question.
English Grammar - John, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:24am
Thank you. Do you mean 'is' is not stressed? How about the follwoing?
1. How are you?
2. Yes, they are.
In the two sentences, I think the verb 'are' is stressed.
English Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 7:33am
Yes, you're right. In those last two sentences, the verb "are" is stressed. But not in the sentence of introduction. The names are the only words stressed in that particular sentence. In fact, "this is" actually sounds like this: "this'z" -- we don't even pronounce the "i" in "is."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English Grammar - e.g. Nice to meet you, Mike. 1. Stress Nice. Nice is a content...
- English/Grammar - I have an English 10 Summer Assignment about grammar and such...
- English - Homework Help: English Posted by rfvv on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 7:...
- English - export 1. When 'export' is used as a noun, the first syllable is ...
- English - 1. If you are stressed, you feel tense and anxious because of ...
- English - What is the predicate for this question? One african bird is named the...
- Grammar - I am having trouble with identifying what thw words in a sentence are ...
- english - which sentence contains a predicate noun? Hoover will lead the group ...
- English Grammar - base verb basic verb base from of the verb the dictionary form...
- Language Arts - what is the meter of line 27? "one by one towns pass by" A. ...