Posted by John on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 4:47pm.
1. I went to an academy.
2. I went to academy.
3. I went to Chicago Academy.
4. I went to the academy.
Students go to a private institute after school to study further. Which expressions do we have to use?
English expression - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 4:54pm
All except # 2 are correct in American English. The British often don't use an article before university, so I assume they may not use an article before academy.
If the name of this academy is well-known among the listners, then, # 4 is best.
English expression - John, Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 5:07pm
Thank you, Sue.
What is the difference between them?
1. I went to school.
2. I went to academy.
Can we use 'private institute' instead of 'academy'?
English expression - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 5:14pm
Knowing when to use an article before a noun is probably one of the most difficult details for ESL students to master. There really isn't a good explanation. It seems to take years of constantly hearing and reading English to learn when we use the article and when we don't.
The best explanation I can give is that "I went to school" is such a common term, that years ago we dropped the article. It isn't wrong to say, "I went to academy." But most native speakers would say "the academy," perhaps because it's not a very common expression.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What do you do after school? 1. I go to an art academy to practice ...
- English - What are you going to do after school? 1. I am going to go to academy...
- English - 1. I went to the video arcade 'yesterday night'. (Is this expression ...
- English - 1. He went for a drive. 2. He went for a swim. 3. He went for a bathe...
- English - He went on a trip. He went on a bike riding. He went on a vacation. He...
- English - How does Junsu look today? He looks tired. Do you know why? Yes, I do...
- English - What do you do after school? 1. I go back home directly and do my ...
- English - 1. He went out for a run. 2. He went out for a ride. (for riding a ...
- English - 1. I went on a school field trip to Jeju Island. 2. I went on a school...
- English - What do you have to do afer school? 1. I have to go to my academy and ...