Posted by Lois on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 9:38pm.
Is is "the two countries lay on opposite sides of the world" or "the two countries lie on opposite sides of the world"? I can't remember how to use those stupid lay/lie verbs. =( Thanks!
- English- grammar - Writeacher, Monday, March 10, 2008 at 9:50pm
"Lay" needs a direct object when it's in the present tense.
- English- grammar - Writeacher, Monday, March 10, 2008 at 9:51pm
Well, it could be "lay" if you mean that sentence in the past tense!! But if it's in present tense, use "lie."
- English- grammar - Ms. Sue, Monday, March 10, 2008 at 9:52pm
The lie/lay verbs are the most confusing in the English language. Within another generation or two, I expect that the usage will change and there will no longer be a difference.
In your sentence, the correct verb is LIE.
To refresh your memory,
LIE means to recline or exist.
The two countries LIE on other sides of the world.
Yesterday I LAY down for a few hours.
I have LAIN down and napped for a few minutes each day.
LAY means to put.
I will LAY the scissors on the counter.
Yesterday I LAID my keys on the dresser.
I have LAID my keys somewhere and can't find them.
- English- grammar - Lois, Monday, March 10, 2008 at 9:53pm
Thank you =)
- English- grammar - Ms. Sue, Monday, March 10, 2008 at 9:59pm
You're very welcome. :-)
Answer this Question
- English - I told the child__down for nap, when he fall asleep, o __down for nap ...
- english - How do I know when to use lay or lie? Thank you for using the Jiskha ...
- English - Which sentence uses lie or lay correctly? (1 point) Please lay your ...
- calculus word prob - Two buildings at opposite corners of a parking lot need to ...
- english - . What is the difference between the two verbs “lie” and “lay?” ...
- English ASAP Please - Which one of the following sentences is grammatically ...
- Grammar - Rewrite each of these sentences, correcting any errors in subject-verb...
- ENGLISH - Do you know any websites that might help with the 6 troublesome verbs...
- English - Which word goes in the blank. The patient must lie/lay perfectly still...
- gr8language - Write four sentances with a different form of lie, then write four...