Posted by Lucy on Sunday, March 9, 2008 at 2:07pm.
Graph 16x^2 + 9y^2 = 144
I know that you cannot graph this but the graph of this equation should be a circle I think.
I have points (3,0), (0,4), (-3, 0), and (0,-4) graphed. Is there any more points that I could use to graph?
- Algebra II - Damon, Sunday, March 9, 2008 at 2:29pm
4^2 x^2 + 3^2 y ^2 = 12^2
(4^2/12^2) x^2 + (3^2/12^2)y^2 = 1
x^2 /3^2 + y^2/ 4^2 = 1
(x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 for ellipse centered at (h,k)
ellipse with center at (0,0)
horizontal half length = a = 3
vertical half height = b = 4
You can put in all the intermediate points you wish, like x = 1 and x = -1 (same y answers)
and x = 2 and x = -2 (again same y answers).
- Algebra II - drwls, Sunday, March 9, 2008 at 2:30pm
This equation graphs as an ellipse, not a circle. An ellipse is a kind of flattended circle.
The equation can be rewritten, after dividing both sides by 144 and recognizing some perfect squares,
(x/3)^2 + (y/4)^2 = 1
The lengths of the major and minor axes are 3x2 = 6 and 4x2 = 8 ,(twice the numbers in the denominator). The center of the ellipse is the origin, (0,0).
I suggest you plot a few more points to more accurately graph the ellipse. For example, if x = + or -1,
y = +/- 3.77
- Algebra II - oneisha, Monday, November 7, 2011 at 7:25pm
major axis 20 units long and parallel to y-axis minor axis 6 units long center at (4,2)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - You want to make a graph to show how you spend your time each day. ...
- algebra - what would a graph look like if.. y= (3/4)x + 2 and the domain is... x...
- algebra - Graph the system of inequalities x¡Ü2 y¡Ý-2x+4 I am having trouble ...
- math - how to graph this y=6x+20 Graph the y-intercept. Show the lines that ...
- algebra - Also, I belive that #4 is D. I drew out a graph and it is symmetrical ...
- Math - The graph of the equation y=4-x consists of all the points in the ...
- College Algebra - 1.Answer the following for the given quadratic function. f(x...
- math - Which type of graph would be most appropriate to show the students in the...
- geometry - I need help to graph the circle 4x^2+4y^2+16x-32y+71=0 Graph the ...
- Algebra II - Graph: x^2/9 - (y+2)^2/9 = 1 I do not have any points to graph for ...