Posted by michelle on Saturday, March 8, 2008 at 1:51pm.
for je vais, je fais, ils vont, ils font, they sound the same don't they? how can i tell the difference?
french - SraJMcGin, Saturday, March 8, 2008 at 7:32pm
Salut, autre fois! (Hello, again)
Yes, they look alike and they may even sound alike to you at first.
aller = to go / je vais = I go, I DO go, I AM goING
faire = to do/to make / je fais = I'm making/doing, I DO make/do, I AM makING/doING
ils vont = they go, DO go, ARE goING
ils font = they do/make, DO do/make, ARE doING/Making
Listen VERY carefully to the "v" which is not voiced = your lips come together but the sound is so soft. versus je fais = the "f" is voiced or you hear ffffffh. Actually they do NOT sound the same, or should not.
french - SraJMcGin, Saturday, March 8, 2008 at 7:39pm
P.S. Actually in "f" the vocal chords do NOT vibrate but in "v" they do.
french - SraJMcGin, Saturday, March 8, 2008 at 8:10pm
P.P.S. Stand in front of a mirror and pronounce these 2 words like English. Look at your lips, note when the vocal chords vibrate or when they don't.
font (hear the fricative?)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- French - Could you please check these answers also thanks. Directions: Use the ...
- French - Le futur proche. Are these correct? -They are going to see the film. ...
- french - Please can you check the following, thankyou. je vais acheter tu vas ...
- French - Could you please check these answers thanks so much. Directions: give ...
- French - Bonjour!! I posted a question a few days ago sorry I didn't answer you ...
- French - Tell where some of the friends are going choosing from the locations in...
- French - ils sont and ils ont sounds really similar to me. How can I tell them ...
- french - Can you check these thanks. Part 1 Directions: Répondez selon le modèle...
- French/SraJMcGin - Sorry, a little more about liaison svp. You explained that it...
- french - Fais une phraseau comparatif avec: Marc / écrire / +/ bien / ses amis ...