Posted by Nazharia on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 9:36am.
A tree is "x"meters high. The angle of elevation of its top from a point P on the ground is 23degrees. Form another point Q, 10meters from P and in line with P and the foot of the tree, the angle of elevation is 32degrees. Find "x".
(Please don't give me the answer only.. I also need the way so I can learn from it. Thankyou :])
- MATHH - Reiny, Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 10:14am
Make a neat diagram.
Label the bottom of the tree R and its top T
You should have two right angled triangles, PTR and QTR
Label PQ = 10, let QR = x and RT = h
In triangle QRT, tan 32º=h/x
h = xtan32
in triangle PTR, tan 23º = h/(x+10)
so h = (x+10)tan23
equate the two equations, (both are h=...)
xtan32 = (x+10)tan23
xtan32 = xtan23 + 10tan23
xtan32 - xtan23 = 10tan23
x(tan32-tan23) = 10tan23
x = 10tan23/(tan32-tan23)
Now you could solve for x now, and sub that back into
h = xtan32
I got h = 13.24, let me know if you got the same answer.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Mathematics - A tree is "x"meters high. The angle of elevation of its top from a...
- math - a tree is x meter high the angle of elevation of its top from a point p ...
- Alg/Trig - The angle of elevation from a point on the ground to the top of a ...
- Pre-Calculus - 1.The angle of elevation to top of a building from a point on the...
- algebra - a point on one bank he finds the angle of elevation of the top of a ...
- Trig - From a point P on level ground, the angle of elevation of the top of a ...
- Trigonometry - 5. A backpacker notes that from a certain point on level ground, ...
- CST GEOMETRY - a tree is situated on level ground from a point 135 feet from the...
- math - From 70 feet away from the base of a tree on level ground, the angle to ...
- geometry - can someone please show me the answer for this problem ? a tree is ...