Posted by Nazharia on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 9:36am.
A tree is "x"meters high. The angle of elevation of its top from a point P on the ground is 23degrees. Form another point Q, 10meters from P and in line with P and the foot of the tree, the angle of elevation is 32degrees. Find "x".
(Please don't give me the answer only.. I also need the way so I can learn from it. Thankyou :])
MATH - Reiny, Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 10:14am
Make a neat diagram.
Label the bottom of the tree R and its top T
You should have two right angled triangles, PTR and QTR
Label PQ = 10, let QR = x and RT = h
In triangle QRT, tan 32º=h/x
h = xtan32
in triangle PTR, tan 23º = h/(x+10)
so h = (x+10)tan23
equate the two equations, (both are h=...)
xtan32 = (x+10)tan23
xtan32 = xtan23 + 10tan23
xtan32 - xtan23 = 10tan23
x(tan32-tan23) = 10tan23
x = 10tan23/(tan32-tan23)
Now you could solve for x now, and sub that back into
h = xtan32
I got h = 13.24, let me know if you got the same answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Mathematics - A tree is "x"meters high. The angle of elevation of its top from a...
- math - a tree is x meter high the angle of elevation of its top from a point p ...
- trigonometry ans. - At a point on the ground 50 feet from the foot of a tree, ...
- CST GEOMETRY - a tree is situated on level ground from a point 135 feet from the...
- Pre-Calculus - From a point on the ground 25 ft. from the foot of the tree, the ...
- geometry - can someone please show me the answer for this problem ? a tree is ...
- iworo ajido - a tree is on one side of a river two point p and q 15metre apart ...
- Trigonometry (Math) - From a point 5m. above the water surface, the angle of ...
- math - From 70 feet away from the base of a tree on level ground, the angle to ...
- geometry - a tree grew at a 3 degree slant from the vertical. at a point 60 feet...