Posted by Amanda on Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 8:38pm.
Hi, this question was assigned to me along with other questions.. but this one got me stuck.
1. What satirical points are being made about education through Scout's experiences?(In other words, what points is the author trying to get across to the reader about the nature of education in the state at the time? what ironies are revealed?)
Please help, Thanks.
To Kill A MockingBird - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 8:42pm
Scroll down and read the notes for Chapter 2.
Please repost if you want someone here to comment on the answer you come up with.
To Kill A MockingBird - Amanda, Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 9:00pm
Is this right?
It's ironic how Jem tells Scout that Ms. Caroline's system of teaching is something called the 'Dewy Decimal System, when we all know how Jem is wrong on this.
That's all i could think of. o.o
To Kill A MockingBird - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 9:39pm
Scroll down and read the section called "The Importance of Moral Education."
To Kill A MockingBird - Amanda, Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 9:46pm
Sorry, I still don't understand. :(
To Kill A MockingBird - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 10:04pm
"This theme is explored most powerfully through the relationship between Atticus and his children, as he devotes himself to instilling a social conscience in Jem and Scout. The scenes at school provide a direct counterpoint to Atticus’s effective education of his children: Scout is frequently confronted with teachers who are either frustratingly unsympathetic to children’s needs or morally hypocritical."
To Kill A MockingBird - allie, Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 3:47pm
i know this is kind of late but an irony in the book is when Aunt Alexandra and her missionary circle are trying to help the "Mrunas". They are helping black people, but not helping the ones in their own town...
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - these are questions based on the book to kill a mockingbird 1. how ...
- English(To Kill A MockingBird) - In chapter 4 in what specific ways did Scout ...
- To Kill A MockingBird ..please help. - Hi, in to Kill A mockingbird , can you ...
- English - Essay Writing - I've just read the book 'To Kill a Mockingbird and I ...
- English (writing) - Hello! I have to write an essay a critical paragraph/essay ...
- Literature - American literature homework question: To Kill a Mockingbird? Can ...
- English - I've been trying to find answers to there for a long time but I can't...
- to kill a mockingbird - I'm reviewing for my test about the novel "To Kill a ...
- Honors English 10 - In Harper Lee's novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, there is a ...
- To Kill a Mockingbird - What does Atticus say about mobs? Thank you for using ...