Posted by Jon on Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 5:13pm.
Identify the vertex, axis of symmetry, and direction of opening for y=2(x+3)^2-5
y = |2x+3|^2-5
h = 3
k = -5
vertex = (3,-5)
axis of symmetry = x = 3
direction = up b/c a = 2 and 2>0
- Algebra II - Damon, Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 5:24pm
y = 2 (x+3)^2 - 5
(x+3)^2 = (1/2)(y+5)
(x+3)^2 = 4 (1/8) (y+5)
symmetric about x = -3
indeed opens up because a = +1/8, check as x becomes very positive or very negative, y gets big positive
- Algebra II(can you explain) - Jon, Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 5:41pm
I don't understand what you did after the 1st line.
- Algebra II - Damon, Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 7:16pm
I know, and I bet it is in your book, that
a formula of type:
(x-h)^2 = 4 a (y-k)
is a parabola with vertex at (h,k)
a is the distance from vertex to focus and from vertex to directrix
if a is +, opens up. if a is -, opens down
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Troy - Can someone check my answers for the following problems. Simplify. Assume...
- Algebra II - Identify the vertex, axis of symmetry, and direction of opening for...
- algebra - 1)Find the exact solutions to 3x^2=5x-1 using the quadratic formula. ...
- Algebra,Math, graphs help - This is what the directions state to do: (A) ...
- math, algebra,graphs help - THe directions state: (A)Complete the table, (B) ...
- Algebra - Identify the vertex and the axis of symmetry for the graph of y=5(x-2...
- Algebra - All parabolas are symmetric with respect to a line called the axis of ...
- Pre Cal. - 1. Identify the conic section represented by: 9y^2+4x^2 - 108y+24x= -...
- math help,algebra - Okay this is what i have to do but i think i am doing ...
- math - 1 identify the coordinates of the vertex and the equation of the axis of ...