Posted by Sherri on Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 12:35am.
The following table shows the number of calories burned per hour (cal/h) for a variety of activities, where the figures are based on a 150-pound person.
Bicycling 6mi/h 240 Running 10mi/h 1280
Bicycling 12mi/h 410
Swimming 25yd/min 275
Cross-country skiing 700
Swimming 50yd/min 500
Jogging 5 ½ mi/h 740
Jogging 7 mi/h 920
Jumping rope 750
Walking 2mi/h 240
Walking 3mi/h 320
Running in place 650
Walking 4 ½ mi/h 440
For problems 1 through 4, assume a 150-pound person
1.If a person jogs at a rate of 5 ½ mi/h for 3 ½ h in a week, how many calories do they burn?
2.If a person runs in place for 15 minutes, how many calories will be burn?
3.If a person cross-country skis for 15 minutes, how many calories will be burn?
4.How many hours would a person have jump rope in order to lose 1 pound? (Assume calories consumption is just enough to maintain weight, with no activity)
Heavier people burn more calories (for the same activity) and lighter people burn fewer. In fact, you can calculate similar figures for burning calories by setting up the appropriate proportion.
5.At what rate would 120-pound person burn calories while bicycling at 12mi/h?
6.At what rate would a 180-pound person burn calories while bicycling at 12mi/h?
7.How many hours of jogging at 5 ½ mi/h would be needed for a 200- pound person lose 5 pounds? (Assume calories consumption is just enough to maintain weight, with no activity)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math questions - Please help me to resolve that sevent questions.Many people are...
- math - Please help me to resolve that sevent questions.Many people are ...
- MATH - Many people are interested in losing weight through exercise. An ...
- math - Many people are interested in losing weight through exercise. An ...
- MAth - help me please Many people are interested in losing weight through ...
- math check please - would some please check this for me. An important fact to ...
- Math Rates/proportions - I have two questions that are based on the following ...
- Finite Math - 11. As part of a weight reduction program, a man designs a monthly...
- Math - If a person weighing 120 lbs burns 410 calories per hour while bicycling ...
- math help - if a 150 lb person can burn 410 calories /hour while bicycling 12 mi...