Posted by anonymous on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 6:40pm.
1. There is a wall that does not need fencing [at x=0]. The curve that also does not need fencing is y=x^2/9. The fence is four units long and extends from the y axis horizontally some distance and then drops down to the curve. Find the lengths of the horizontal and vertical parts of the fence to maximize the area. [Let the height that the fence starts on teh y axis be designated as h. Now find the area in terms of h and other variables. Then get rid of h.
- calculus -- PLEASE HELP! - Reiny, Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 8:08pm
This is a major Calculus question, requiring both integration and differentiation, but it will work out pretty neat.
I am going to the start of the horizontal P(0,h), the right end of the horizontal Q(a,h) and the point where the vertical meets R(a,(a^2)/9)
then PQ + QR = 4
a + (h-(a^2)/9 = 4
h = (a^2 - 9a + 36)/9
The area of the region between the curve y = x^2 /9 and the x-axis from 0 to a is
⌠ x^2 /9 dx from 0 to a, which is (a^3)/27
So the area of your question would be
A = ah - (a^3)/27
=a(a^2 - 9a + 36)/9 - (a^3)/27
= 1/9(a^3 - 9a^2 + 36a) - (a^3)/27
I then found dA/da and got
1/9(3a^2 - 18a + 36) - (1/9)a^2
setting this equal to zero for a max/min of area I got the nice quadratic
a^2 - 9a - 18 = 0
so a = 6 or a=3, but the total of the two straight line segments has to be 4, so a=6 is extraneous
then a=3, which makes h=2 and the area=5
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Yolanda is putting up a fence for her dog in the shape of a square. Each ...
- Math: Optimising - cant figure out this homework question! I need to use ...
- math: optimising - I cant figure out this homework question! I need to use ...
- Calculus Help - Farmer Brown wants to fence in a rectangular plot in a large ...
- math - joe is putting fence all aroung four sides of a rectangulr flower bed it ...
- college Algebra - A rectangular fence is to be built along a river using the ...
- word problem? - A rectangular lot is to be bounded by a fence on three sides adn...
- math - Marni wants to fence in a rectangular are of 48 ft squared. she wants to ...
- Math - we need to fence off a rectangular section of land in order to make some ...
- math - Flor is putting a fence around a field. The field is rectangular and ...