Posted by Eva on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 3:28am.
OF MAN’S first disobedience, and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree whose mortal taste
Brought death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful Seat, 5
Sing, Heavenly Muse, that, on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That Shepherd who first taught the chosen seed
In the beginning how the heavens and earth
Rose out of Chaos:
I'm a little bit confused. We are learning scansion, marking out lines with stress and unstress marks. This, I can do. So I know that Milton's Paradise Lost is in blank verse.
But how can you understand why a poet chooses a particular meter to write on a certain subject? And how does knowing that Milton wrote in blank verse help us understand the subject matter better?
- english - Writeacher, Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 7:26am
In the first paragraph after Verse paragraph, you should find some ideas to help you understand this. Other articles in here may help, too:
- english - bobpursley, Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 7:30am
Why do we hum particular songs when we are in particular moods?
- english - RoseSparkle, Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 1:55pm
If you are happy you would tend to hum a happy, chirpy song to match your mood. It could also be quite fast and have funny lyrics to make you laugh.
But if you were upset/depressed you would probably hum a sad, maybe slow song because you don't feel like being happy.
Hope this has helped.
- english - Eva, Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 12:01pm
thankyou, writeacher! that really helped!
- english milton - annika, Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 3:26am
oh i have one last doubt!!! The words Oreb and Sinai are biblical places. I don't know how to pronounce them... which syllables are stressed? is it OReb and SInai or oREB and siNAI???
Answer this Question
- English English plz - please check my work. "Paradise lost" is a very ...
- English Help - Please check grammatical errors. "Paradise lost" is a very ...
- English(Urgent) - I need help!!! I am suppose to give an opinion on "No Man is ...
- physics - A man (mass = 78.6 kg) is jogging through the woods and runs straight ...
- English - Read this passage from Donne’s “Meditation 17.” Then, answer the ...
- English - Which of the following represents an appeal to the head? a. "We are ...
- English - Please check this paragraph.please. Wrongdoing and wickedness are as ...
- English - I'm including the other sentences. Thank you very much. 1) Death would...
- English- Man for all Seasons - Heyy! well my question is in regards to man for ...
- Math - A man looks up at the top of a tree. The angle of elevation is 42 degrees...