Posted by Jon on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 4:08pm.
Write an equation in slope-intercept form for the line that passes through (3,5) and (-2,1).
y= -4/-5x+4.4 (answer)
Math - drwls, Monday, February 25, 2008 at 4:33pm
Rewrite the slope as m = 4/5. -4/-5 is the same thing but looks awkward.
y = (4/5) x + b
5 = [(4/5)*3] + b
5 = 12/5 + b
b = 13/5
y = (4/5)x + 13/5
Math(here's what I did) - Jon, Monday, February 25, 2008 at 5:08pm
Ok, we lmow that the slope is 4/5.
subtract 2.4 from both sides
-4.4 which is how I got the y-intercept
13/5 = 2.6 not 4.4
Math - drwls, Monday, February 25, 2008 at 6:29pm
In solving for b, you took the x-value from one point (x=3) and, for y, you used the x value from the other point (x=-2) instead of y. You should have used y=5, as I did in my derivation. You have to use the x and y values of one known point to get the line to pass though that point.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Math - 1. Use point-slope form to write the equation of a line that has a slope ...
- ALGEBRA - Solve for y intercepts 7x+y=-2 Answer: Y = -2 7x + 2y = 4 Answer: Y = ...
- Math/Algebra do u know how to do slope intercept? - The following problems are ...
- Algebra2 - Write an equation for the line in point/slope form and slope/...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...
- Algebra.. - HELP. Problems 4 - 7: Write an equation for the line in point/slope ...
- Algebra2 - Help? Write an equation for the line in point/slope form and slope/...