Posted by Martin on Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:33pm.
A leaky cylindrical oilcan has a diameter of 4 inches and a height of 6 inches. The can is full of oil and is leaking at the rate of 2 cubic inches/hr. The oil leaks into an empty conical cup with a diameter of 8 inches and a height of 8 inches.
a. At what rate is the depth of the oil in the conical cup rising when the oil in the cup is 3 inches deep?
b. When the oilcan is empty, what is the depth of the oil in the conical cup?
Please show step-by-step work in your answers. Thanks in advance! :)
- Calculus - Reiny, Saturday, February 23, 2008 at 5:50pm
let the height of oil in the cone be h in, let the radius of the surface of oil in the cone be r in. Let the volume in the cone be V in^3
by ratios: r/h = 4/8
r = h/2
given d(V)/d(time) = 2 cu inches/hour
find dh/dt when h = 3 inches
V = (1/3)pi(r^2)h subbing in r=h/2
V = (1/12)pi(h^3)
dV/dt = (1/4)pi(h^2)dh/dt
sub in dV/dt = 2 and h = 3 to get
dh/dt = 8/(9pi) inches/hour
find the volume of the cylinder.
sub that into V=(1/12)pi(h^3) and solve for h
Let me know if you got h = 6.6
- Calculus - Ryan, Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 8:44pm
For part (b), I don't understand why h = 6.6 ft because that would mean that the volume of the oilcan had a volume of 75.27 in^3. In actuality, the oilcan had a volume of 25.13 in^3, so the height should be 4.6 ft. **
- Calculus - Joe, Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 10:49am
Ryan is wrong. Reiny is correct. h = 6.6
- Calculus - Anonymous, Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 9:50pm
A drum can in the shape of a rectangular shape with a square base is required to have a volume of 100 cubic feet. Draw a diagram of the drum indicating x, the side of the base and h, the height.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - The diameter of a cylindrical can of motor oil is 3.5 inches (in). The ...
- math - If the outer diameter of a cylindrical oil tank is 54.28 inches and the ...
- DIAMETER - What is the approximate volume of this sphere, which has a diameter ...
- Calculus - A magic tank starts out 4 inches in length, 4 inches wide, and 12 ...
- AB Calculus - I figured out that part "A" is -3/8, but i can't figure out part 2...
- geometry- need help - Claim: the lateral (side ) surface of any area of any ...
- calculus - water is poured into a conical paper cup so that the height increases...
- Calculus Practice Problems - A filter filled with liquid is in the shape of a ...
- math - Evan is painting a stool that has a cylindrical seat and four rectangular...
- For -Ms Sue - Claim: the lateral (side ) surface of any area of any cylinder can...