Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 11:21pm.
An airplane takes off from the ground and reaches a height of 500 feet after flying 2 miles. Given the formula H=dtan times theta, where H is the height of the plane and d is the distance (along the ground) the plane has flown, find the angle of ascent theta at which the plane took off.
Trigonometry - drwls, Friday, February 22, 2008 at 1:18am
H = d tan0
tan0 = H/d = 500 ft/10,560 ft = .04735
0 = 2.71 degrees
Trigonometry - drwls, Friday, February 22, 2008 at 1:19am
"0" was supposed to be the symbol theta in my previous post
Trigonometry - Guido, Friday, February 22, 2008 at 8:44am
I want to expand drwls' reply.
First, convert 2 miles to feet.
If 1 mile = 5280, then 2 miles = 10,560 feet.
Secondly, you must re-arrange the given formula because we are looking for an angle NOT height or distance on ground.
Let t = theta FOR SHORT.
tan(t) = 500ft/2 miles
tan(t) = 500ft/10,560ft
tan(t) = 0.047348485
Since we are looking an an angle, you must use the tangent invere key on your calculator. By the way, you must ALWAYS use the inverse key when searching for a trig function. I will do this in just a minute.
Before dealing with the angle itself, the decimal number 0.047348485 must be rounded to the nearest hundred- thousandths; it becomes 0.04735.
We now have:
tan(t) = 0.04735 We take the tangent inverse of the right side of the equation.
NOTE: tan^-1 is read: "tangent inverse" NOT tangent to the negative one. Is this clear?
t = tan^-1(0.04735)
t = 2.71 degrees
NOTE: I rounded 2.710843763 to the nearest hundreths and the answer became 2.71 degrees. This is what drwls did without going into detail.
I think detail is vital when tutoring online.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - after take off an airplane is flying at a height of 8,000 feet above ...
- precalculus - A model airplane 50 feet above the ground is flying away from an ...
- Math - A model airplane is shot up from a platform 1 foot above the ground with ...
- Calculus - Assume that an airplane is flying toward you at a constant height, h ...
- math - A ball is thrown into the air with an upward velocity of 20 ft/s. Its ...
- Word problem - . A catapult launches a boulder with an upwark velocity pf 184 ...
- Math - Please help ! 1.)a catapult launches a boulder with an upward velocity of...
- Math help - A catapult launches a boulder with an upwark velocity pf 184 feet ...
- Trigonometry - AN AIRPLANE IS FLYING AT A HEIGHT OF 1000 m. THE ANGLE OF ...
- math - an airplane is flying at a height of 2 miles above the level ground. the ...